BiPolar (BP)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified son transported to/from school on taxi: concerns..

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by jcox, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jcox

jcox New Member

The SPED director at Elijah's school called me a few minutes ago. He taked to me about Elijah's transportation, how in order to have him on the SPED van with a monitor they would need another van just for him. He asked me what I would think about Elijah riding a taxi to and from school everyday because that would really help them out. I told him I thought that would be okay. Then I began thinking I wonder if taxi drivers need to get SORI (Sex offender) and CORI checks? If not then I don't want my son on a taxi alone with a stranger. What would you all think about that? I would be nervous even if Elijah did not have any special needs, but he does so that makes me more nervous.
  2. jal

jal Member

Do they mean a real taxi service or a livery service?
  3. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

I posted my reply on General. :)
  4. jcox

jcox New Member

The SPED director called back and said they have to look at other options because he could not find a taxi service. We live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and there was only one taxi company here who I guess closed. He will call me tomorrow with the next option.
  5. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

Your concerns are legitimate.

If you should find yourself needing this infor: Keep in mind that everyone who handles your son must be appropriately trained and advised of difficult child's IEP needs; e.g., a new driver every day wouldn't necessarily meet state or federal requirements.