BiPolar (BP)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified son transported to/from school on taxi: concerns..

jcox

The SPED director at Elijah's school called me a few minutes ago. He taked to me about Elijah's transportation, how in order to have him on the SPED van with a monitor they would need another van just for him. He asked me what I would think about Elijah riding a taxi to and from school everyday because that would really help them out. I told him I thought that would be okay. Then I began thinking I wonder if taxi drivers need to get SORI (Sex offender) and CORI checks? If not then I don't want my son on a taxi alone with a stranger. What would you all think about that? I would be nervous even if Elijah did not have any special needs, but he does so that makes me more nervous.

jcox

The SPED director called back and said they have to look at other options because he could not find a taxi service. We live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and there was only one taxi company here who I guess closed. He will call me tomorrow with the next option.

Sheila

Your concerns are legitimate.

If you should find yourself needing this infor: Keep in mind that everyone who handles your son must be appropriately trained and advised of difficult child's IEP needs; e.g., a new driver every day wouldn't necessarily meet state or federal requirements.