Buh Buy.......RANT

flutterby

Fly away!
We've always gone to a certain store (hint hint) first for everything electronic. Never again.

Around 2:00AM on 11/27/09, I ordered online a Gateway laptop for difficult child for Christmas for store pickup. I immediately got a confirmation email, but had to wait for the second email confirming my order had been pulled before I could pick it up. That should have happened early on 11/28/09.

It didn't. I spent an hour on the phone with a very nice lady in customer service who tried to help me, but she was unable to get the store to respond. While I was on the phone with her, I called the store myself and was told, after being put on hold for quite some time, that they were behind on dotcom orders and when they got to mine and they had it, they had it; if not, they didn't. Nice, huh? Especially since I paid for this order with my debit card, so the funds were already being held.

I subsequently tried to call several more times, let it ring at least 20 times each with no answer. Finally, around 9:30 pm on 11/28/09, a guy answered and after my insistence checked and said my order was pulled. However, I still had to wait for the second email.

Finally, at 5:07PM on 11/29/09, I received the pickup email. It said I had 6 days to pick it up. My account was formally debited on 11/30/09, so Best Buy has my money.

You guys know how I've been feeling...a lot of trouble with medication side effects, etc...so today was the first day I felt up to going to face the masses that is holiday shopping to pick up my order. I go into my email account to print out the pickup email, and there is a cancellation notice.

Yep. They canceled my order. They said it was because I hadn't picked it up within 8 days of confirmation of my order, however I didn't receive confirmation for 2 full days after I placed my order. So, it was really only 6 days.

And let's not forget: they have my money. Why would they cancel an order when it's been paid for???

They put a credit through, but it can take "7-10 days to show up on my account". Isn't it funny how the debit shows up immediately, but a credit can takes days?

So, I called customer service and after listening to how my call may be monitored for "exceptional customer service", told the person I needed to talk about my very "unexceptional customer service". The only thing they could do? Place the order again, charge my account *again* - which would show up IMMEDIATELY - and wait patiently for the credit to come through. Ummmm....NO. I have zero faith at this point that the credit will come through without more phone calls.

I realize when I placed this order that it was Black Friday and they were busy, but it's not like Black Friday snuck up on them and surprised them. It's not my fault they weren't properly staffed - especially in this economy with unemployment so high - to deal with the orders.

I tried to call again after being told how they could place the order again, and charge my account again, to speak to a supervisor. After having to tell my story for the 3rd time in less than an hour to an operator who is only going to transfer my call and THEN having the automated message tell me that the hold time is "less than 20 minutes" (20 minutes!!!), I decided that I'm just done with them. Buh bye.

I'm so frustrated. :mad::mad: This is difficult child's major gift. I researched laptops for hours before settling on the one I did and I really wanted *that* one. I can't even find that model on Gateway's website.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Which is why we stopped shopping there even before we moved away from Dayton. That really reeks. Ok, so it was black friday. Big deal. They had your order, they had your money. It shouldn't have been an issue at all. Should have been easy as pie for them.

Travis ordered my video card finally. I flat out refused to order it until he was at home to install it. husband paid for 2 day mail. I didn't get it today even though it was due to show up. Travis is continually tracting the darn thing. It made it as far as ohio. whoopie, fat lot of good that does me. ugh Somehow I doubt this sort of thing is gonna show up on my doorstep on a sunday. double ugh!

I hope you can still get the deal for his laptop.....there is a great site online for awesome deals. Have to ask Nichole's boyfriend to send me the link for you.

by the way I haven't even bought one single gift yet. And husband says tues unemployment check is strictly for bills. So that leaves me rushing around the last minute to get all the grands their gifts. Lovely.

((hugs))

flutterby

Fly away!
I think I'm just going to shop Amazon all the way. I've never had a single issue with them. I get my orders quickly - even when I ordered on Black Friday - and they don't touch my money until they ship - not even a hold.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Heather - just finished all my shopping (or most of it) thru Amazon last night. It's being delivered all over the country & to my home.

I don't do store pick ups other than Sears - never had a problem there but have only used it twice.

DammitJanet

Walmarts ship to store is very good. Never had a problem with it and have used it several times including having things shipped to my store and having them shipped to the store up by Jamie's house because I didnt think I could get the stuff in time to pick it up here and then go up there for Xmas. I ordered late.

The other place I used to order through is no longer in business...lol. Circuit City. Sigh.

LittleDudesMom

Heather, how frustrating!

Remember that if you shop at Amazon, use the link through our site! We get a little from it that helps keep us going! I love Amazon as well - great communication, fast shipping, and you can find most anything!

Sharon

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Flutterby, doubtless the reason you couldn't find the laptop on Gateway's official site is that it was specially made for BB.

Look on the bright side. Gateway makes a product that is known for both being undependable and for being so loaded with bloatware that it runs like a pig.

I've used both Toshiba and HP laptops for years and I recommend them to everyone.

flutterby

Fly away!
I just ordered an HP from newegg.com - a trustworthy site. And they didn't charge shipping...which is why I was doing the store pick up at BB.

I checked out Amazon first (Sharon, I always go through the site when I order from Amazon), but they didn't have what I wanted.

The Gateway was a model that you can only get through BB. And I'm never shopping with them again.