Cat Question

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Bruce and his claws are driving us nuts. He scratches us constantly, no intentionally trying to hurt. And of course has taken up scratching the furniture. Scratching post never did work no matter what I tried, so I sold the darn thing. Clipping his nails........Well, maybe it's because he was older when he came to live with us last fall, but clipping is out. He's having no part of it....and teeth and nails bring that fact home.

I'd already nixed the declawing over the risk of him not using the litter box later issue. (not a risk I really want to take) And the whole toe amputee thing.

But Nichole's friend says her Mom got these claw covers from the vet. You glue them over each nail. Nail dies and falls off. Supposed to be pain free with no damage to the toes. Not real expensive either.

So? Any of our cat experts hear of such a thing? Any opinions?

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
You are talking about "soft paws" claw covers. They DO NOT "kill" the claw. Rather they fall off as the claw continues to grow beneath them. New soft paws must be applied frequently and they are not cheap.

Adult cats CAN be taught to tolerate clipping. You need a cat muzzle that not only covers the muzzle, but also covers the eyes. For some reason covering the eyes has a calming effect on cats.

Try one of the muzzles; I think you find that it reduces the fighting to a lot of wriggling.

Also, if you can clip without turning the cat upside down on his back; that will help a lot.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have NEVER heard of something that makes the nail die and fall off. How on EARTH can that be pain free? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. How do they know it is pain free?

We put catnip on our scratching post to make the cats use it. We dont' have to anymore because now they are attached to it. They do make these scratching things that are cardboard (they look like a small flat box filled with sheets of corrugated cardboard with the ends up) that every cat we had has loved. Never needed catnip on those. You can rub catnip in the scratching post or find spray catnip to put on things you want them to scratch.

I have an aunt in Williamsburg OH who works part time for a vet. She says he does NOT remove the toe to declaw, just the nail itself. It would be worth calling to ask about if you can get to them. My aunt is a HUGE animal lover, and would never recommend anythign that would hurt the animal. I can get the vet's name and phone # if you want it. They also trim nails for a very reasonable price (free if it is a regular patient - and that amazed me, it is $2 per NAIL to get a pet's nails trimmed here!).

I would keep a squirt gun handy to use every time you see the cat scratching. Also, you could make it a strictly outside cat, though that may or may not be a viable option. I oculdn't do it, but I know people who do.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I can only imagine someone taking out all my nails.:faint: But, the cats I just babysat for were declawed (didn't know that as I'm desperately trying to convey to inlaws that their cats are attempting to destroy their furniture)...and these cats used their litter box fine, but scratched on anything in their path.

I like the catnip on post idea. I personally could not put an animal through the declaw or any other procedure. They can't talk back to you. They just take revenge.:devil:

Abbey

donna723

My daughter had her cat declawed (front paws only) when he was very young and he's just fine. She had to do it - he was tearing up everything in the house. He even has one extra toe on each front foot so that's a lot of claws! He's very well aware that he still has his back ones though. He's a thoroughly evil cat! He will sucker you in to petting him and then roll over on his back and purr like he wants a belly rub. As soon as you start rubbing his belly, he will nail your arm with those big sharp claws he still has on his back feet ... then he runs and hides! He thinks it's funny. But he can't claw the furniture with his back feet!

If you don't want to declaw, it's at least better if you can trim off the sharp points. A lot of people use a Dremel tool on their dogs claws. It's supposed to work on cats too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Susie thanks for letting me know about that vet that doesn't remove the toes. Williamsburg is only 45 mins from me. :)

Bruce has no interest whatsoever in cat nip. However I might give one of those cardboard thingies a shot. It might work until my school loan check comes back and I can get him declawed.

Making him an outside cat is not an option. Bruce is my stray guy. He doesn't like outside. He's the one permanently attached to my lap. :rofl:

I had a feeling the claw covers were too good to be true.

donna723

I never heard of removing the actual TOES when they're declawed, just the claws themselves. My daughter's cat was done years ago (he's 10 now) and he still has all his toes, even the two extras, but there's just no claws on them.!

Star*

call 911........call 911
I think you should try the muzzle and papoose him in a thick towel.

I've had to do it at the shelter a lot - usually the vet can give you a mild sedative to help the cat calm down before you pappoose him.....and you'll need stiptic powder to stop any bleeding.

If I were there I could show you how and yes....they cry, they pant, they struggle........but it's foreign. Ask your vet HOW MUCH to JUST cut the nails - ours charges $5 and does that papoose thing. Takes 2 minutes.

Piper on the other hand is an in/out cat - and while she takes her frustration out of things outside - she did claw a few things - the cat training book I have said to put vinegar in a spray bottle and aim at whatever she was scratching - it worked.

Cats HATE vinegar. Just test a part of your upholstery as vinegar is an acid and can change colors.

Oh Also - for the cat that hates EVERYTHING???? I got her this thing at Kmart with corrugated cardboard in the center and a ball to batt around.....she WILL play with and scratch that. Once it's dirty? She's such a snot - must clean and replace cardboard.......

Another neat thing we did for the cats at the shelter? We put one of those waterfountains in for added attention away from legs - they seem to be fascinated with running water - and makes them more adoptable if they aren't digging into the legs.

F

flutterbee

The cardboard thingies are the only thing my cats would use and it has completely saved my furniture (well...saved it from further destruction, anyway).

I have 4 cats, as you know, and I get 2 at a time and they last quite a while.

My vet charges $9.00 for a nail trim.

Lothlorien

You could try a groomer to clip the nails. They shouldn't charge much and they have ways to do it without getting bit.

susiestar

Roll With It
I will get through to my aunt and get her vet's name. You might enjoy meeting my aunt. She is a thoroughly lovely person. She came out here to visit us and made freinds on each leg of her filight, including a young man who wanted to take her home to meet his wife. She still keeps in touch with them, she is like that with people. She met some of my parents' friends at my bro's 40th birthday party and we almost had no time with just her after that. People kept calling to take her to dinner or coffee or whatever.

Anyway, once I have the info I will pm you.

Susie

susiestar

Roll With It
I PM'd you. The vet is actually in Mt. Orab - my aunt lives in Williamsburg. My bad. I hope that vet can help some. They sound like nice people.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks Susie. :D

If that fails tell William that the Bruce is a traitor and let history happen.

:rofl: :rofl:

I'm gonna give those cardboard thingies a shot as soon as I can get to walmart. I've got til end of Oct til my school refund comes back.

Thanks guys. :D