Caught in the middle!

tiredmommy

I have a major headache right now (literally and figuratively). Every summer, I go through the school's Special Education department to ensure that Duckie is placed on a bus that has a monitor due to her epipen. The monitor has held the epipen during the morning and afternoon rides and returned it to the nurse's office during the school day.

It's all messed up this year.

Our school district has two schools that house the k-5 kids, bus routes have kids from both buildings and the pick-up/drop-off point is between the two. Both schools' schedules have changed this year so that the monitor (that works in the other building) doesn't have time in her schedule to pick up or drop off Duckie's epipen for the bus runs. The school nurse felt Duckie is mature enough to keep the epipen in backpack (in her locker) throughout the day since there are adults around to supervise. I reluctantly agreed though I voiced my concerns about another student getting into her bag and someone getting hurt or the epipen getting lost. Also, the district policy for medicine in school only allows for rescue inhalers to be carried by students and I didn't want to assume any liability should anything go wrong. I was assured that wouldn't be an issue.

All this happened in the few days before school started. I get a call on Monday from the nurse that they wanted me to get a note from the doctor stating that Duckie was allowed to carry the epipen (this was to address the district policy... c.y.a.). Well, the doctor refused to give the note stating she is too young and he's not comfortable in that another student could potentially get a hold of it and hurt someone. Besides, if there's adequate adult supervision then the adult can hold the epipen. :hammer:

I have left a message for the nurse but haven't heard back yet. All I know is that Duckie MUST have the epipen and they must provide a monitor. It's their problem to work out at this point. :devil:

klmno

It's their problem to work out at this point.

That's right! And you have pegged them on the CYA part. When you told them you didn't want to be held liable, they should have given you something in writing saying you wouldn't be but then of course, that makes them liable. Around here, a kid can be arrested if he/she is carrying around a bottle of amoxicillin rx'd in his own name at school. If you give them a little time to digest this I bet they come up with a monitor- it might be after they try to convince you that Duckie doesn't need epipen on the bus though. They'll probably try to get you to agree to leaving some at school and at home and forgetting about it on the bus.

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Problem is..bus may be one of the most important places Duckie could possibly need Epipen! What if a bee flew in the window. That is a real possibility. I have had a bee fly in my car and sting me. Now I dont know if Duckie is allergic to bee stings or not but that is one scenerio.

I am moderately allergic to bee stings. I dont need an epipen but I swell up. I got stung down my bra and I looked like I had three boobs. It was awful. LOL.

Josie

Does she have an epipen that stays at school? If so, maybe the bus monitor could keep it during the day, if it is the same person in the morning and afternoon.

Here in TX, the heat was a problem for the epipen and I was never comfortable just leaving it in the car. I don't remember if cold is supposed to be a problem for them or not. If it is, the monitor would have to be responsible for not leaving it on the bus in the winter. I am not sure I would be comfortable with that part of it.

Maybe Duckie could take it to the nurse. Would the nurse be able to go get it from her if she forgot?

I am thankful my difficult child doesn't need to have an epipen any more but I remember the fear of her needing it at any time.

tiredmommy

Thanks for your replies. :)

klmno- The dialogue started the week before school and the first question out of the nurse's mouth was is if I felt Duckie needed it on the bus. The answer is yes. Duckie is to always have access to the epipen because she is at an increased risk for anaphalaxsis. That risk doesn't miraculously disappear when she's on the bus. :winks:

Janet- We don't know if Duckie is allergic to bees or not... she's only been stung once. BUT! We also don't know what exactly caused her severe allergic reaction at age four, so vigilance is key here.

Hope- Duckie has two pens at school, two at home. She carried a single pen on the bus so far this year and the other stayed in the health office. Each pen gives about 20 minutes to get additional medical treatment. The aide in the other building can't hold the pen all day because then Duckie may not have access to it if needed. Epipens cannot be overheated or frozen to my knowledge.

house of cards

Get the dr to give you another epipen for the aide...it shouldn't be a problem for the dr to do that, then Duckie is always protected with an adult responsible.

susiestar

Roll With It
School is being VERY irresponsible about this. It is not your job to care about how they provide this, or to make exceptions. The doctor says she needs access to it at all times and that an adult administer it. The adult administration is because it only gives 15-20 mins to get her to a hospital. An ambulance MUST be called immediately.

Rescue inhalers are a very different issue. The medication in them is needed ASAP, but usually it takes care of the problem. Students with severe asthma should also carry cell phones at all times. My dad had a student who was permitted to use a cell phone at any point to call 911 or his mom if he had problems. He usually would use the rescue inhaler to get enough air moving to speak to the 911 dispatch (who knew his name, his school and bus route and home, and could recognize his voice). Usually the boy passed out from lack of air just before the ambulance arrived. 911 would call the office to have them go find him to help until the ambulance arrived. This happened about 4-5 times every quarter. No other medications helped this kid.

THAT is the extreme reason why a child with asthma can carry an inhaler.

THIS is a different ballgame. Duckie would have to find an adult, get them to pay attention enough to understand teh problem. This would drastically increase the time it takes to get an ambulance.

No dice. School MUST provide the help. Epipens are NOT to stay in vehicles.

Maybe an adult could meet monitor at the bus to take the epipen to the office and to give it to her?

Do NOT let monitor keep the epipen. Drivers/monitors are usually NOT well trained in handling medicine or in handling kids. The epipen WILL get left on the bus, in the office, etc....

Duckie is 8. WAY too young. thank you couldn't even get a rescue inhaler and spacer for his asthma until he was 9. He has to be 12 to carry the inhaler in school. Duckie should not even be carrying that. If she carries it she will lose it or drop it or break on it. Because she is 8.

I know you won't settle for any situation where she can not be treated. Keep it up, Warrior Mom!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
When K was showing up at home the first few days of School dehydrated, she is on Lithium, at her IEP meeting I just flat out said, "Someone and everyone has to make sure she drinks water, unless you want my child going into Kidney failure!"
I had said it nicely prior to this, I had pushed but gently before this point... but the couple of days she came home home and was acting sick I told them at the meeting. I was then very dramatic about and not so subtle! LOL

I think I scared them and I made sure the Nurse was there. So far they have been trying very hard.

Sometimes we have to be a bit dramatic, "I don't think you want my child dying on your bus, do you?"
They need to be hit in the face with reality.
I felt bad saying it but they had been kind of acting like i was exaggerating up till that point... until she came home and was sick.
I like the idea of maybe having an extra on the bus or with the School.

SOrry the school is being a PITA!

tiredmommy

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the support. :thumbsup:

It's been resolved... the bus monitor will, in fact, be bringing it to the office in the morning and picking it up at the end of the day. Just like last year. :hammer: