Child Social Skills Training

Fran

Former desparate mom
I don't really have experience with conduct disorder. Just a AS kid with severe oppositionality.
We tried social skills training. If the child is not participating or doesn't process the need, it's like organized play dates. in my humble opinion. My difficult child just didn't get it. Your child may be different.

LittleDudesMom

Fran has a valid point. Like any typical person, your difficult child has to be open to whatever you are trying or offering. Many times our difficult children are resistant to learning and disrespectful to authority figures.

In therory, social skills training is a fabulous thing for our difficult children. The reality is you don't know until you try. And if you are like most of us here, you'll try anything once!

Keep us posted.

Sharon

For what it's worth (since my difficult child is young and not considered CD), I've given up trying to find a social skills group for my difficult child. He had a child psychologist working with him for a while and she had social groups. She thought that difficult child wouldn't be a good fit for any of them. Ironically, his behavior was better than the other children's in her groups and she thought difficult child would only learn worse behaviors.

difficult child has a good pal (who also has issues) so basically husband just carefully monitors them on playdates and intervenes when behavior goes out of bounds. I'd love it if I could get him in a group with a professional who would presumably be quicker to identify triggers and help teach more appropriate responses. Good luck!

M

ML

I think exposure has worked best for manster. His school psychiatric had social skills classes last year that he attended and he enjoyed them though I don't know how much he learned. He needs patterning and role playing. If someone says "hi" it's nice to say "hi" back. I have tried to teach basic things like telephone etiquette. He's a quick learner. But, he will most likely always have some level of discomfort in social situations that are new and experienced for the first time.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 2 needs help in language pragmatics and social skills in general. His IEP this year is giving him social skills training for 30 minutes twice a week with the school Speech Language Pathologist (SLP). I think it's helping a bit. But there are still a lot of things he needs to work on.

Case in point, last night the two difficult child's were on the couch watching a movie. difficult child 1 has a new board game he just bought, sitting in his lap and he is looking at all the parts. A slow spot in the movie comes up and difficult child 2 loses interest briefly, looks over at what difficult child 1 has and grabs the game board from him while simultaneously saying, "What is that? I want to look at it."

Of course difficult child 1 is incensed and a fight ensues. difficult child 2 gives the board back but is upset that difficult child 1 got so angry with him. I had to get difficult child 2's attention and walk him through what he just did, asking questions to get him to think about difficult child 1's perspective on what he just did to him. Then explain the better way to deal with his curiosity and desire to see the game. He got it after my explanation, but these are things that most people just intuitively "get" without explanation.

Our hope is that the social skills classes (and our sometimes exhaustive parenting) will eventually get difficult child 2 to a place where he can make better choices about his behavior.