Chiro weighs in on neck problems

susiestar

Roll With It
I saw my mom's chiro in Big Lots a few days ago. He is also a good family friend, so I mentioned that my mom wanted his opinion on my neck/spine issues. He sent me a letter, received today.

He is an excellent chiro in many ways. Strange little man, but excellent at what he does.

In the 20 years I have known him he has only once advocated for surgery that I know of. And it was for my mom's wrists when her cartilage disappeared.

Guess What? He says that if I care to spend a lot of time in pain, I can maybe get 4-6 most with-o surgery. But that surgery is going to have to happen. And the sooner hte better.

Dang it, I really hoped he would have some ideas to help with-o surgery.

At the same time (same mail delivery) I got the letter from hte neurosurgeon. Boy am I glad I asked for htat, because this guy totally ignored me. What I was saying, what my body showed, all of it. Same things other docs say are a problem are "pyschological" in nature. ARRRRGGGHHHH! But I didn't like himanyway.

So, I will be calling for the epidural shot scheduling tomorrow.

Cross your fingers if you can,

Thanks,

Susie

tiredmommy

I'm sorry to hear you need the surgery, Susie. Try to think of it as your best chance at having improved health in the long run.

slsh

member since 1999
Susie - good luck with the epidural. I hope it works and gives you some relief.

I am sorry to hear that you are probably facing surgery. Back/neck pain is such a bear. I'm trying very hard to recover from 2 diskectomies, hoping to avoid a fusion. It is not a whole lot of fun.

Pain free good thoughts coming your way!!

TerryJ2

Susie, sorry I missed this note. Didn't see it until after I read the neurosurgeon note. Sigh. So sorry ... my husband has had to refer people for surgery b4 and it is pretty rare. They usually try to avoid it. But since your mom's cartilage disappeard, and your discs are degenerating, it may be a hereditary thing.
Good luck with-the shot. I want you out of pain and making progress!

:flower: :bath:

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Susie, sorry to hear about the surgery. My sister recently had surgery - her back was so bad she couldnt feel the urge to pee and couldn't walk upright, it all happened so fast. Despite all of our reservations about such surgery, she's doing great today. It's been about 3-4 months and although she has some residual pain, she's feeling so much better and stronger.

I hope that for you this surgery will preempt future degenerative problems for your neck and back. Keeping fingers crossed! In the meantime, hopefully the epidural will provide some relief.

TerryJ2

Jo, not being able to "hold it" is one of the urgent signs for surgery. I'm glad your sister is doing better. She will get stronger, too, as time goes on.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Terry, her problem was that she never felt like she had to go, and when she did, almost nothing would come out or it would come out in small bursts and then stop. She felt bloated and full, but didn't have the urge. It was really scary for so many reasons. Her nerve damage was very severe because she's one of those people who tries to just push through the pain and discomfort. When she finally decided to go to the ER, they wouldn't let her leave without speaking to a surgeon first! They said that if she left the hospital she would irreparable damages that may not be able to be fixed, surgery or no. Very scary. But she's doing really well now. Thanks.

susiestar

Roll With It
Jo, thanks for the words of support and the "happy ending" story. I am so glad your sister is much better.

Terry, I know it is hard for your husband to refer people for surgery. I truly NEVER thought this chiro would recommend surgery. He just doesn't. It really blew me away (scared me too) when I got his report. I expected to go in and see him and get some relief and maybe a few more years before surgery, or maybe no surgery at all. Alas, it is not so.

Thanks for understanding my shock at his report.

Susie