Chronic cough and a question

Californiablonde

For the past month now I have had this annoying, dry cough. A few weeks ago I suddenly lost my voice, and it was gone for a whole week, then miraculously returned. Anyway, the cough still remains, and it is quite a nuisance. I notice it's at it's worst at work (of course) and when I'm laying down. I have tried cough syrup, cough drops, and tea with ginger and honey. Nothing is working. Does anybody know of any home remedies I can try? It's really annoying when I'm on the phone with people at work all day and I'm coughing in their ear. Thanks in advance.

jetsam

cb, since your cough and dry throat have lasted for more than 2 weeks i would seek a consultation with your dr. it could be either acute laryngitis, or beginning of long term laryngitis one is viral or bacterial in nature and the other more environmental . do you smoke? If so has it increased due to stress..etc. also throat cancer can have those symptoms too. I wouldn't put off going to a dr. you need to take care of you.
As for home remedy 1/2 tsp of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle with it several times a day. the salt kills any bacteria that might be present. also lemon tea... I mean hot water with lemon squeezed in and honey..not tea bags .the caffeine in tea is counterproductive. just lemon, water, and honey . Hope you feel better soon!

jetsam

you might want to try warm milk with honey at bedtime it both relaxes and soothes the cough. also marjoram- put it in water and boil it. then strain it and drink the liquid. You can also do the same thing with ginger.

susiestar

Roll With It
Are you taking a regular, daily allergy medication? We have a dry cough in the family that usually lasts all winter in my dad, brother, and both of my sons. I mean it lasts from sometime in the fall to sometime in the spring. I don't know what my brother does besides hack and cough, but for my sons, taking a dose of zyrtec every single day usually is enough to stop it. If it gets bad, a dose of benadryl for a night helps (doctor has okayed adding this on). Shockingly enough, after literally spending ALL of his life doing this, my father has been helped by this too! The boys also use albuterol as they have asthma and no cough can be ignored, but albuterol and every other asthma medication that is made did very little help with the dry, hacking cough until daily zyrtec was added. Sam's Club sells zyrtec (generic) for a shockingly cheap price or they did last year. I picked up I think 400 tablets at a time for under $10.

I also make 2 home remedies that really seem to help. One is 2 Tbsp local honey from a farmer a few miles from here, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, 2 teaspoons cinnamon and 1 teaspoon ginger. I stir this well and keep it in a jar in the pantry. A teaspoon or two taken orally either by spoon or in tea usually helps. For my husband and son I also add 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper to this original mixture and they take 1-2 teaspoons by mouth, but they LOVE hot, spicy things and I do NOT, so J and I won't take the spicy version.

This does help too. you can use a commercial honey like whatever the grocery store sells from whatever big brand or generic, but using local, unpasteurized honey makes a difference because it generally helps against the pollens specific to your area which are causing problems for you.

If you smoke, have smoked for any length of time in your life, or have ANY lung problems, PLEASE, I am BEGGING that you see your doctor. A lasting cough can be a dangerous this. I offer these remedies ONLY because my male relatives on my dad's side ALL seem to have the same cough that lasts from fall to spring that is truly annoying for them. Family reunions at Christmas time on my father's side include having almost every male relative coughing, and it can be a sight to see. Imagine trying to get a good group picture of 60-100 people when most of the males (way more than half the group) are hacking so bad you think lung pieces are going to start flying around!! I am NOT joking - we are Catholic and there are always 3-4 sons for every daughter! Talk about a challenge for a photographer!

ksm

Russian remedy for sore throat,,,from our previous exchange student. 3/4 cup of milk
1 T honey
1/2 T butter
1/2 t baking soda,

Heat up first three ingredients in microwave. Stir. Add baking soda, stir and drink. It will get thick and foamy when you add baking soda. So make sure the cup is not too full before adding the baking soda.

She is now a doctor...and still uses this!

KSM

Californiablonde

cb, since your cough and dry throat have lasted for more than 2 weeks i would seek a consultation with your dr. it could be either acute laryngitis, or beginning of long term laryngitis one is viral or bacterial in nature and the other more environmental . do you smoke? If so has it increased due to stress..etc. also throat cancer can have those symptoms too. I wouldn't put off going to a dr. you need to take care of you.
As for home remedy 1/2 tsp of salt in a glass of warm water and gargle with it several times a day. the salt kills any bacteria that might be present. also lemon tea... I mean hot water with lemon squeezed in and honey..not tea bags .the caffeine in tea is counterproductive. just lemon, water, and honey . Hope you feel better soon!
I don't smoke nor have I ever smoked. Actually I tried smoking for like two days in high school, hated it, and quit immediately. I know what I have could be cancer, and I am super scared! I go to my dr. again next week. I hope it's not bad news.

jetsam

cal I am sure you are scared ! But better to know sooner. I am a breast cancer survivor and can relate to the fear but my mother (who also had breast cancer) waited..unfortunately to long. Consequently she was taken from me way to early. I have been very vigilant throughout my life about breast exams ,regular mamas etc. I found my cancer early enough and have been in remission for 15 years! So I am telling you, SOONER IS BETTER. Take care of YOU.

stressedmama

I have the same thing - allergies. I get it every year around the beginning of fall-and it's worse at work and when I'm lying down. I take the Tessalon (sp?) pearls prescribed by my doctor. I am allowed to take them up to 3 times a day, but I usually only take them when it's at it worst. I feel for you! Go see your doctor! Take care of yourself...

AppleCori

Cali,

I have a similar thing going on, it happens every fall.

I have allergies, and most likely, so do you.

I don't take any medication, since I don't like to take anything unless it is necessary, and I can live with my symptoms.

Getting it checked is a good idea. I go to the doctor to have anything worrisome checked out, too.

However, I think you might benefit from some medications to help relieve your anxiety. Talk to the physician about it.

Apple