CindyTN

meowbunny

First, wanted to welcome you on your own thread. It sounds like you have gone through so much with you son and fought long and hard to get him the help he needs. Way to go! I'm glad to hear he's in a place that sounds like it will truly help him. I wish more of us could find what is needed and find a way to afford them. Many can't. So, if you have some special advice (besides selling your life away like I did), shout out.

I also want to comment about a couple of things you've said in your posts to date. Please don't take them as an attack. They're not meant to be.

For Amy's son, I saw some things that were typical for a young teen, especially an immature male. I also saw things that said the Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) spectrum should be considered. Autistic kids, especially high-functioning, can and do display differently. Frequently, they do have co-morbid disorders. Regardless, the main advice was to get him to a neuropsychologist for a full evaluation and that is truly the best advice we can give for anyone. The more that is known about what is wrong, the better.

Cindy, we do make comments from personal experience. Most of my experience is in Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) but I do have some personal experience with Aspergers. I am very careful to not say Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)/Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE) to someone unless nothing else fits just because it is such a hopeless diagnosis. Austism has far better prognoses with the right interventions. So, I'm not going to hesitate in telling someone that it sounds like Aspergers and the like should be considered. The earlier the treatment begins, the better. Even so, an Aspie can be helped at any age.

In Jojara's post, you basically diagnosed her son with bipolar. I agree that it sounds like much more than ADHD is going on but try to tread lightly and not make blanket statements. Saying that ADHD kids don't rage is not true. Some do. Their frustration is such that they just can't stop the anger from coming out and, once released, it goes well over the top.

You really don't need to blast to get your message across here. We're a pretty reasonable group with a lot of intelligence and experience dealing with kids with a myriad of problems. Join us, help those you can help with your experience, ask us for help when you need it. You'll find we're a pretty good group.

TerryJ2

Hi Cindy, welcome.
I read your posts on the other thread.
You've been through a lot. I'm glad you like your new dr and seem to be on a good path.
Nice to meet you!