Consent to re-evaluate in order to dismiss from IEP

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
My easy child just started all day Kindergarten. He has an IEP for speech articulation that he got just before he started pre-K last year. He went to our home elem. school for speech all last school year. This year we are in the same district but a different elem. school. They met with him a few days into this school year to listen to his speech. They told me he has come along way and basically has it all down and can be understood. They said he should practice his "L blends" but he pretty much has those down too with reminders. They want me to sign a consent to re-evaluate him in order to release him from services.

I agree that it appears he no longer needs help with articulation. I am concerned though about a possible Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). He comments to me a lot that so-and-so talks good or so-and-so has a good voice. Thru questioning him about this what I understand he is saying is that certain people he can "hear" and understand, and others he cannot. I am wondering if certain tones/pitches he can hear better than others. I am not sure if there is anything to this or not. But I don't want to drop services and then not be able to get them again if needed. I was thinking he would have an IEP for 3 years before they re-evaluate or try to discontinue it.

Any suggestions? I asked and the SD does not have an audiologist - but I see there is a job posting for one - so they are trying to get one.

T

TeDo

I would consent to/request a FULL re-evaluation only. I would make if VERY clear to them that there are still issues that need to be addressed so you would like a full evaluation so his IEP can be revamped not discontinued. Tell them you specifically want to include auditory processing evaluations. You can request a re-evaluation any time you think there needs to be one and they have to do one. You don't have to wait for the 3 years. Things change, kids change, and needs change too. That is what happened. Do NOT let them drop the IEP altogether.

JJJ

Definitely only agree to a FULL reevaluation. The district can pay for him to go to an outside audiologist. Make sure they do proper Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing as well as the complete hearing exam.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Thanks TeDo and JJJ!

I pulled out his preschool screening, initial evaluation, and previous and current IEP's. The area of concern checked is "communication". His eligibility category is "Speech/Language Impairment" because he has an articulation disorder.

From the reading I am doing - I see a communication disorder may occur in language, speech, and/or hearing.

1. Language difficulties include spoken language, reading and/or writing difficulties.

2. Speech encompasses such areas as articulation and phonology (the ability to speak clearly and be intelligible), fluency (stuttering), and voice.

3. Hearing difficulties may also encompass speech problems (e.g., articulation or voice) and/or language problems. Hearing impairments include deafness and hearing loss.

So I agree his articulation is good now, and I believe he has mastered all of his goals (I will double check). Therefore, I think #'s 2 & 3 are ok. However, I have some concern with #1.

"Problems with language may involve difficulty expressing ideas coherently, learning new vocabulary, understanding questions, following directions, recalling information, understanding and remembering something that has just been said, reading at a satisfactory pace, comprehending spoken or read material, learning the alphabet, identifying sounds that correspond to letters, perceiving the correct order of letters in words, and possibly, spelling." <-- This sounds a lot like difficult child. What I see with easy child I cannot really put my finger on. He hears/understands some people/voices and doesn't others. He misses instructions in noisier environments or if the speaker does not look at him and tell him specifically. Some of this might be age.

So I would like to reply back to the school with a letter expressing my concerns and asking for further evaluation. It feels like you have to be an expert on disorders and the various evaluations in order to know what to request. How do I know what to ask for? I think these are my concerns:

Frequent requests for repetition (What? Huh?)
Difficulty listening or paying attention in noisy environments
Trouble hearing different sounds/voices

Or, do I just say I am concerned of a possible Auditory Processing Disorder and would like him tested?

InsaneCdn

If you're going to mention Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) at all, do not make that the central request. List the issues - the unsolved problems. Every single one of them. Then, what are ALL the possible things that need to be tested? And then, ask for ALL of that, plus whatever else they might suggest that is related. (never turn down "more" testing options!)

T

TeDo

He qualified under that before. The category of eligibility can change. That was the predominant issue then and was addressed. Now you have concerns in other areas that may not "fit" into that category. YOU don't have to know anything. List your concerns, in DETAIL with examples, BUT make sure you ask for a FULL evaluation for Special Education Services including but not limited to those areas. Don't let them just test for those issues. Now that he's in school, you really want them to evaluate everything. I wouldn't mention Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) just because he doesn't actually have that diagnosis, yet. Stick with your concerns ..... ALL of them, no matter how minor they may be.

I just wanted to chime in...school-based speech pathologists are not able to diagnose Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). School-based SLPs also can not continue to provide services if a child is demonstrating age appropriate skills in the classroom.

You will need to go to an audiologist to have a complete evaluation for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) (an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) can complete a screening or basic assessment, but it's not incredibly helpful unless your child has severe Auditory Processing Disorders (APD)). The Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) can administer an assessment and say that a child has difficulty with auditory processing as long as they don't diagnose Auditory Processing Disorders (APD). My concern is that MOST audiologists (every one that I've ever had contact with) can/will not diagnose Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) until a child is 7 or 8. Most audiologists want a child to have basic reading skills prior to the evaluation. I would not want to request a full evaluation NOW when he can't be formally tested for Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) unless he is having significant difficulties in the classroom. That said, the district I worked in before required a full evaluation for any child exiting special education, so it's not out of the realm of reasonable.

Personally...As a parent, you can request a full evaluation at any time. IF he is having trouble keeping up in class, THEN I would be more concerned about requesting a full evaluation. If it's just fear that there could possibly be something there, I might ask his teachers what they see in class. I am an Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) in the schools, and I know parents are often concerned about "losing" an IEP. But, again, you can request the full evaluation at any time. I just completed a full evaluation for a student who had one less than a year ago because the parent had a concern...exiting one service does NOT mean that the child can't be picked up again under another (or the same) category if he or she demonstrates an area of need. It just means that the child has met all of his identified goals and is not requiring additional support to make progress in general education at this time.

InsaneCdn

Auditory Processing Disorders (APD) testing really cannot be done before age 7 or 8, except for "language processing" - if language development isn't normal, they will jump on it.

The reason they can't test the other APDs earlier is that the testing is complex and lengthy. A younger child cannot follow the instructions, and cannot process that intensity and duration of testing accurately.