Depression Era Cooking

susiestar

Roll With It
Has anyone else seen the depression era cooking with Clara videos on YouTube? They have simple recipes (except the post Depression Holiday Fig Cookies) made with very simple ingredients. The lady in the videos is 91 and this was what her family ate during the depression. She also talks about her life then.

This started as her grandson recording her ("the most interesting family member" is how he described her in an interview) to preserve family memories. Then he posted it on YouTube and it has gotten very popular.

Here is a link to it. I hope you enjoy the 5 to 10 minute videos as much as I did! [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OPQqH3YlHA&feature=channel"]YouTube - Great Depression Cooking Ep:3 - Poorman's Meal[/ame]

klmno

Interesting- I would have called it fried potatoes & onions with hot dogs except she put some sauce in there- was that a pasta sauce?

KTMom91

I've seen her...she's fun to watch. by the way, I fixed one of my Nana's Depression-era recipes tonight. Hamburger, potatoes, and onions, all fried up together. Yum.

klmno

That sounds like it would be good- I might even sprinkle a little cheese on top!

When we had hard times, my mom fixed either pinto beans and cornbread or chili over mac & cheese. That wasn't during the depression though- I'm not quite that age. LOL!

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
My parents were depression era children ~ hence my mom grew up & then taught her children how to cook in this manner. There was always some way to stretch a pound of hamburger meat into a meal for 8.

I've learned because of that how to keep a well stocked pantry of simple, inexpensive ingredients to throw together a simple easy on the wallet meal. I love seeing things like this come back - it seems so down to earth & common sense. That seems to have been lacking in our world for the last couple of decades.

goldenguru

My grandma (still alive @ 92) often shares her depression era recipes with-me.

Similar to KTMom's - only we add carrots too and call it "Poor man's stew".

The other night I made my grandma's pork and beans.
Start with-soaked navy beans (about 1 #) -
Add chopped onion, green pepper and garlic. Low boil for a few hours till beans are done. Then add spices to taste, and 1/2# of cooked bacon (or sometimes I use leftover ham or smoked pork chops), and a generous amount of ketchup (about 1/2 C.), and about 2 Tbs. brown sugar (We don't like them very sweet).
Bake a couple more hours to desired consistency.
Serve with-good vinegar and a loaf of homemade bread.

Yummy. They are also good cold on bread - "bean sandwiches".