difficult child has pain in the back of his head

Andy

What I understand, is that it is a quick pain. Like two rocks hitting each other in the back of his head. It is very quick - happens in a second or two then gone.

Anyone have experience with this?

He does have a physical scheduled for next week (if road conditions cooperate - maybe we will go the night before and stay at a hotel?). I have not heard yet when his next neurological appointment is - they don't make appts 6 months in advance so were going to mail me an appointment.

I don't think his migranes had this symptom.

Thank you!

Last edited:
B

bran155

I don't have any experience with this but I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck with the doctor. Try not to worry too, too much, it's probably nothing serious. Don't work yourself into a frenzy. I always do that and it always ends up to be nothing. :)

TerryJ2

I just found this ... how is he doing? Is there any connection to physical activity, sleep patterns, stress?

Wiped Out

Staff member
Has the pain stopped? I guess if it has I would wait til his physical otherwise I would probably call the dr. to get him in early.

Andy

Thank you!

Nothing since Sunday. I took notice at the third complaint within 1 - 2 weeks and hadn't taken note of events around it. Maybe it was just a fluke? Anyway, I will bring it up to doctor at his physical on Tuesday (hope for good weather) and if they do continue, I will also report to neurologist on his next appointment. If they return with a frequency, I may ask for the neurologist appointment to be stepped up?

It may also be an anxiety somatic (is that the word?) symptom? He has shown a little bit of anxiety lately but nothing he hasn't been able to control. Once in a while he will display the unhealthy anxiety symptoms of being afraid of the tiniest thing, like "I have a paper cut, I am afraid" but he has been able to recognize it and overcome it.

We are on our last step of weening from Flouxetine. He is completely off but the withdrawal symptoms can still arise over the next week or so. And of course, being off the medications, his anxiety can also come back.

At this point, I am not too concerned but am keeping close tabs to determine when my concern should rise.

Jena

Hi,

I wouldn't be too worried either especially if dr. visit is coming up. How long now is it off medications?? It could be a strange quirky side effect of medication leaving system. Yet, I have no idea how long he's been off i forgot.

How is he tonight??

Andy

December 13th was last dose (10mg every other day). I read that it can take up to 25 days for withdrawal. That would be about today! (I thought we had another week) This is very cool for me! Wow. (sorry, I get caught up in this kind of thing with difficult child)

Tonight he is fine after a tantrum about math hw. He didn't want to put the time into finding the least common denominator of 12, 2, 7, and 8. This is easy but if you make a mistake along the way, you will never find the denominator (168). He became very upset and then even more so when I told him that he should talk to therapist on Tuesday about these feelings that hw brings on. He then started crying - he doesn't want anyone (therapist or teacher) to know how he behaves. I told him if this behavior continues than I will talk to therapist about it because I am not going to deal with tantrums and that is why he has a therapist. If he is not going to use therapist to work through frustrations, then he doesn't need to see therapist. I told him that he has to take his time and do every step correctly. He thinks if he is too slow in school the teacher will yell at him. I told him that if he is actually working on the problem and not being distracted, she will give him the time he needs. She only asks those kids who are not working to not take so long.

Wow, today is day 25! We have made a super smooth withdrawal from medications! I think I am going to go jump up and down now! Huge Huge smiles!

smallworld

Jen jogged my memory. The pain could have been "brain zaps," a common side effect of SSRI withdrawal. Definitely ask the doctor, but if the pain is subsiding as the medication is leaving his body, then I suspect it does have to do with discontinuing Prozac.

Just a suggestion: Instead of telling your difficult child you aren't going to deal with tantrums, it might be more helpful to phrase it with a positive spin. For example, you could tell him the therapist can work with him to find better ways to work through his frustration.

You should also be aware that anxious kids are generally very concerned about appearing less than perfect to people whose approval they want, such as teachers and tdocs. They also tend to be slow workers because of perfectionistic tendencies. My daughter M, who has severe anxiety, exhibits both of these characteristics.

Andy

Thank you Small World - Yes, I agree about the more positive approach to tantrums. I will work harder on that. I also very much agree that he does not want therapist and teacher know of this weakness because he looks up to them. He doesn't understand how therapist and teacher both are my teammates in helping him grow. They can not help if they don't know the issues. Last year difficult child absolutely hated this year's homeroom teacher who was also his math teacher last year and this year. (I also tried hard last year to get him to understand that it was the math he hated, not the teacher.) His attitude has turned around and he has already picked out the Teacher Valentine card he wants to give her praising her as a teacher.

difficult child is competitive with the other boys in class. The other boys always hand things in ahead of him and the boys take notice of this so he feels the other boys judge him on this. To him it is more important to keep face with his competitors than to allow himself the time he needs to do a good job. He hates the time it takes himself to complete hw. I am working very hard to convince him that quality is better than quantity (and time). He feels mostly pressured in handwriting. He takes his time and you can not tell the difference between the sample and his writing. The other kids don't put the effort in that he does (the perfectionist). He knows that if he goes faster his handwriting will suffer.

If that was brain zaps from withdrawal, we will take it! That means it should be done? But I will still address it with his physical (his medication doctor will do the physical.)

TerryJ2

Oh! Brain zap! Hadn't thought of that. Good point.

I'm getting brain zaps just trying to remember how to do common denominators ...

Good luck, Andy. Sounds like it's going relatively smoothly, although living through it and just reading it here are two completely different things.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
You should also be aware that anxious kids are generally very concerned about appearing less than perfect to people whose approval they want, such as teachers and tdocs. They also tend to be slow workers because of perfectionistic tendencies. My daughter M, who has severe anxiety, exhibits both of these characteristics.
Yes, this is sooooo true for my difficult child too.