difficult child II stuck in obsessive mode

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
God help me, I am ready to strangle him. difficult child II want an $89 game for the Wii, and he wants it now, he wants to earn the $ now at 9:25 at night, he is a broken screaming and raging record. This is the behavior that makes me want to run away, there is no off switch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:faint:

klmno

We're in a similar boat today- sorry you are having to go thru it too. For me, this has been better than what I have been going thru but earlier this weekend, difficult child decided he could trade in his old ps2 and get a ps3 and I would only need to front him about $200. I gave him the "are you kidding me look" about 5 times and finally had to just say "No, way". You have to wonder- do they really have that difficult of a time picking up on the clues?

Andy

I have had to deal with those obsessions in the store!!!! So very frustrating - I always am at a loss on how to handle it. I do know that I can never give him what he wants during those moments.

Tonight at home in the yard while easy child and I were talking to a neighbor, difficult child was demanding easy child's phone with a camera to take a picture. Fortunately she did not give in and it did not esculate to the screaming part.

It is easier to ignore at home but my kids have always stayed in my face. I just keep repeating, "NO" in a stern voice. I just wished difficult child would stay in another room while obsessing and demanding immediate gratification. But then if he did, there would be no chance of wearing me down.

amazeofgrace

My difficult child II moves on to poking, hitting and cursing when I try to ignore him, I really had to hold back 2night as he kept throwing a notebook at my Mother.

Christy

Toy obsession is a pain. My son can be relentless when he JUST HAS to HAVE something. And the worst part, the more he has, the more he wants. Anytime we give him a new toy, we check for for those little advertisement papers inside that show the rest of the toys in the series. Otherwise, he will be overwhelmed with NEED for the rest of the stuff and can't enjoy what he has.

Sorry! Stay tough.
Christy

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Oh, I can SO relate to that :D My difficult child 2 is famous for that in our house. When he was REALLY bad, he behaved as if is LIFE depended on getting X (fill in any number of things -- video game, lizard, stick, rock). And he was dead serious. He was like a drowning man, he was that desperate for X, and it didn't matter that he already had dozens of X (yeah, that even applied to the lizards), he HAD to have it. NOW. I felt like I was in a BAD dream when he was like this -- kinda like Groundhog Day, only uglier.

Fortunately, medications have helped a ton with this kind of behavior.

Do you think his medications need adjusting for this?

amazeofgrace

I generally try to avoid/ignore him, but when he starts touching me or others I threaten to call the police, which I have done once b4, and it seems enough (for now) to get him to back down.

B

butterflydreams

Oh I hate the I gotta have it stuff. You could have just gotten them the thing they had been wanting and it still wouldn't be good enough. I usually get the "I really, really want this game" and then hours later I get the "I should have got such and such instead." And then there is the "It's only x dollars!" Yeah, like I have a money tree. difficult child will ask for a game for the computer, I say no I am not going to install anything on the computer, it's running too slow as it is, not too mention I am not going to spend the money. 5 minutes later, he will ask if he can download a free trial. Umm, still no download.

They really don't get it.

Christy