difficult child is having heart palpitations and nosebleeds

Steely

So, I am confused. Did you take him off the Lithium, or not?
I get nose bleeds all of the time - and have since I was a kid. They started suddenly when I was a kid, but there was never a metabolic reason.
I would not be too eager to assume it is the Lithium.
Yes, it makes the kids incredibly thirsty - and there can be some other side effects - but I would not immediately take him off of it without a Dr mandating it.
Lithium was the very first remedy for depression, almost a hundred years ago. It is very effective. It does have side affects but not any more than any other medication other than dehydration, which can be easily remedied with excessive liquids.
Clonidine OTH, if taken above the recommended dose can cause the heart to stop, or a heart attack.
Slow down - and do not stop the Lithium without a doctors guidance. HUGS. I know this is really tough.

TerryJ2

Yes. He's been off of it for three days. So far, no huge blowups. He says he's no longer dizzy and no longer has nosebleeds.
Dr. appointment. at 5:15. I intend to get a replacement scrip for something because there's no way he can stay calm much longer. :)

StressedM0mma

Hoe the psychiatrist can give you something that will work well with-out the side effects. I know what it is like wondering when the calm will end. Not fun.