difficult child is regressing, cycling, and shutting down

Wishing

Prayers and hugs. Since my son turned 18 he doesn't take his medications most of the time so there is a lot of volatility at our house. For us finetuning the medications is step 1. Mine is starting to realize he needs his medications.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Sending you some more strength.
Could the honeymoon period be over?
Could the medications be finally completely out of his system? (for K it takes weeks for some)
Could the season be affecting him, less daylight especially up in Utah.
All of these things could really be playing havoc on poor M's mind and stability.
Plus the good old feeling of no control. That in itself can cause those of us with BiPolar (BP) to lose it.

It sounds like he is unable to *use* his tools that help him remain stable. So this place would be wise if they started with medications and working on identifying what is triggering him... ha ha, I know easier said than done.
Yes the simple world of Mental Illness... easy, get him stable and then just give him the tools to help himself remain stable.
If it were really this easy for someone who is Mentally Ill, would there be so many on the streets? Or in Institutions?
I truly hope this place knows what they are doing...
I am so sorry Steely, I am having an I hate Mental Illness week.
But honestly, he does have the tools in there somewhere, you have taught him. He just needs a bit of stability and to feel like he has a teensy bit of control.