difficult child's Breakthrough

trinityroyal

Just saw this in the daily report from difficult child's 1:1 staff at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC).
difficult child is excited about the impending birth of Trinity's twins and wanted to look at baby things in Zeller's so we spent an hour or so looking at bottles, car seats, jolly jumpers, and twin strollers. He said several times "I'm so excited about this."
Until yesterday, his reaction has been hostility that "interlopers" were going to be intruding on his family, and very very angry at me for daring to bring them into the world.

I am so happy for him, that he's letting love into his heart.

Fingers crossed that this is the beginning of something, and not just a blip on his radar.

Trinity

Last edited by a moderator:

Fran

Former desparate mom
It's good news that he has looked beyond his self centered view of the world. There is room for him and the babies in the family.

susiestar

Roll With It
What a wonderful update! It sounds like he may be taking some steps away from self-centeredness! Hopefully this will last, and maybe even extend to things past the babies.

Babies can bring out the best in almost anyone.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sometimes - as the older sister I felt a twinge of jealousy about my "BABY" (say it long and drawn out like baaaaaaaaaaaaaabeeeee) sister. And once she got here it was all about THE BAAAAAAAAAAAAABEEEE. Even if my parents did not forget me there was a BAAAAAAABEeeeeee.

Once I figured out that as the oldest I had certain responsibilities? It was better. I think your son figured out in the Z store that he IS the OLDER brother. That can be a monumental moment in the life of an older sibling.

He has always been VERY important - but NOW he'll be EXTRA important as he will be the OLDER brother of two very cool - um....baby brothers. (I think) lol

I'm happy for him - all that tension gone he's going to rock as an older bro.

Hugs to him - I'm so very proud of his accomplishment!

I think that deserves a Tshirt that says I AM THE OLDER BROTHER!

trinityroyal

It's funny...in his first round of big-brother-dom with Little easy child, he hasn't done too well.

With his issues, he was allowed to get away with a lot of little kid behaviour for so long, and he was the baby of the family for a very long time. Having an actual little one around, with the overnight expectation that he become "mature" was really hard for him.

Much as Little easy child suffered from the bullying etc. that resulted, I don't think anyone really acknowledged how much difficult child suffered from being displaced as the youngest. So, it's really heart-warming to see him come around this time and recognize his very important place in the family structure as the first-born son, and mentor to our growing collection of rug rats.

(And Star, I think they're boys too! Time will tell)

Trinity