Do they crash after hypomania?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by klmno, Sep 15, 2008.

1. klmno

klmno Active Member

difficult child has been a little hypomanic for a couple of weeks- this is nothing new for this time of year, but I didn't worry too much because he's never really "lost it" or done anything illegal this time of year. (He's usually a little hypomanic right after school starts and some in October) He "shut down" shortly after starting his homework tonight, although it didn't really qualify to be called a meltdown. Then, he fell asleep on the couch, I woke him up, he said he doesn't feel well and went to his bed. I just checked on him and he has totally crashed.

I thought my head was exploding over the weekend due to allergies and a bad tooth. Now I'm not so sure if it wasn't a bug. At any rate, I don't think his homework is going to get done tonight. And he was starting off on such a good foot, at least for him. SIGH....
  2. smallworld

smallworld Moderator

He could be sick. You won't know for sure until he wakes up again. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about his homework in a situation like this.
  3. klmno

klmno Active Member

Thanks, SW. I just hate to see him get behind with the work- but then :)smart:) we are still working with last year's IEP because we haven't change anything for this year yet- we wanted to see how he was doing first. I guess now is as good a time as any for his teachers to learn more about him- if it does turn out that he isn't sick. :beautiful-female:

I'll try not to worry about him getting behind but I do want him to learn more this year...
  4. flutterbee

flutterbee Guest

From the ages of 13-16, my son slept A LOT. It wasn't unusual for him to come home from school and crash and be out all night. Even Wynter who used to average 6 hours a night from infancy, needs between 10-12 hours of sleep now.

Not saying that's the case, but just keep it in mind, too.
  5. klmno

klmno Active Member

Thanks, Heather! Either way (BiPolar (BP) related, typical teen, or a bug) this is preferable to mania. :)
  6. SomewhereOutThere

SomewhereOutThere Well-Known Member

Any changes in his medications? Dose increases? That'll do it. I get hypomanic a lot and it doesn't make me tired. On the contrary, I'm less tired when hypomanic.
  7. klmno

klmno Active Member

No medication changes. I'm sure that he isn't hypomanic since shutting down- He had been a talkative ball of energy for 2 weeks- but not to the point that I would call him full-blown manic- just hyper. He had been sleeping fairly regular, but tonight, it was like crashing after full-blown mania. He might be sick- I don't recall him ever doing this as a result of "shifting" from hypomania. Although, if he's hypomanic and gets up during the night, that will lead to either a crash the next day or mania, but I honestly don't think he got up last night because I was up pretty late.