Do They Think We Are Stupid?

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by pleez_help, Jan 9, 2009.

1. pleez_help

pleez_help New Member

I have learned a lot about IEP's. My difficult child does not have one. I was talking to his counselor yesterday, and he asked me if I had talked to the school yet. I said no, that I was waiting till husband could go with me. Well, this morning I asked the principle what we need to do to get him one. He asked me why? I said, because of his adhd. He then asked if we had a diagnosis? I said yes, since he was in kindergarten. He then tells me that they don't do IEP's just because of adhd. Um, WRONG! I told him that yes they do, it is under TWO FEDERAL LAWS.:faint: "UH UH UH UH I don't know, I will look into it and see." That is what I thought, he knew that I had done my homework and knew what I was talking about. I said that if he didn't want to that I would gladly contact my lawyer. (which I don't have) he don't know that though. I told him to get it done, because we need to do something. difficult child is falling further and further behind. We will see. I will give him till mid week to let me know something. Wish me luck.

2. CrazyinVA

CrazyinVA Well-Known Member Staff Member

Schools do not like IEPs.. they are a lot of work. I am not surprised at all by this reaction, I got it with both my difficult children. Keep pushing!

3. klmno

klmno Active Member

Take them this- they know it already- you just need to let them know that they aren't dealing with someone who doesn't have a clue about any of this (like I was at the beginning of it all).