Do you hate unexpected changes in your schedule (not difficult child related) ?

DDD

My husband was going out of town for four days this week. Tonight I found out that he has delayed his trip for a week. Yikes! I know it's stupid but I am psyched for this week and am aghast that I have to fall back and regroup. Am I the only one who likes to know what To heck to expect in advance?? Feeling childish tonight...but still disappointed that I have rearrange my thoughts etc. DDD

trinityroyal

DDD, you're definitely not the only one who likes to know ahead of time. And you're not being childish by reacting badly to the sudden change in plans.

I am very very bad at spontaneity, and just don't cope well at all. Last night, a group of us took husband's best childhood friend R out for a birthday dinner. R's wife L and I get along very well, and as the only women in the group, were going to sit next to each other. As I stood behind my chair, about to sit down, difficult child (who is VERY bad at reading social situations) plopped himself down in it. It was all I could do not to pitch a hissy fit, because I had to reorganize in my head at the last minute how I was going to handle conversations at dinner now that I wasn't sitting with L. I adjusted, but the first 5 minutes of the dinner were not pretty.

I'm sure that you had all sorts of plans for how you were going to spend your week, which now need to be adjusted. It's not unreasonable at all to feel a bit put out by the change.

Trinity

H

HaoZi

My ex's (and even current boyfriend) generally like to play things by ear, drives me batty. Doing something on a whim now and then is one thing, especially before kiddo, but once you have kids, pets, whatever, you can't do that so much. Add in a tight budget and something that wasn't planned properly can throw me off for months.

DammitJanet

Drives me a bit nutty too. I want to know what my plans are and I need some structure so I know what I am supposed to be doing. I hate last minute surprises.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Drives me positively up the wall.

Especially when I have plans already and they are overridden. husband and I discussed this, this morning... Relay For Life kickoff is Weds evening, he scheduled a small job for Weds. Fine - except it's a 3-hour drive there. YARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!! I learned long ago that taking Onyxx and Jett to these "meetings" is horrible, they expect to be entertained and I'm not there for that. He said he'd set up someone to watch them - GOOD - cause this is one of those things that's REALLY IMPORTANT TO ME.

Or when we schedule a date night, and I wait and wait and wait...

DDD

Makes me feel better knowing I'm not alone. Yeah, I realize it really isn't a big deal. on the other hand, I now have to grocery shop, plan meals, do laundry etc. that I hadn't planned to worry about. The bright side is that at least I don't have to be at the store at 8 each morning. husband "opens" and works until I come in around 10 to take over for the day. It doesn't take me too long to adapt. I just hate doing it. DDD