Does anyone know the name for this?

FlowerGarden

we've always said that at times our son doesn't hear what we say correctly. A clinician thought he had an auditory processing problem but testing at school came back fine. Another clinician and psychiatrist at the hospital told us that he hears only what he wants to hear.

The intensive outpatient program that he was just attending had them see their psychiatrist. When husband & I met with the psychiatrist and son's counselor after their meeting with my son, the counselor complained that he only hears what he wants to hear. She felt he just deleted parts of what was said to get things turned to his advantage. The psychiatrist said that we have to think of it like dyslexia. He told us with dyslexia people do not see what is written properly. So, our son does not hear what is being said properly.

Isn't that an auditory processing problem or is there a different name for this?

klmno

The neurologist that saw my son mentioned some "name" of something- I'll have to get back to you on what it was. But, he said it is kind of like when things are worded a certain way, they do not understand it in the way we think they can or should. Something like "neuro-linguistic" - I think that is the type of testing or area he thought maybe difficult child had a problem with. The ed spec and psychiatrist didn't think this was a primary concern- in difficult child's case. I did think it was interesting though that I had complete neuropsychologist testing done and the neurologist who looked at that report 2 years later pointed out that no evaluation for "neuro-linguistic" problems had been done.

PS It sounded like a neurologist would be best to ask about it- and secondly, a psychologist who does neuro-psychiatric testing or a HIGHLY qualified ed. spec. (not necessarily the one the sd has on board).

DDD

Very interesting question. I'll be reading to see what answers you get. My difficult child does not "hear" properly and it is blamed on his Aspergers. I'm not confident that I get the
explanations either. DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
http://www.dyslexia.com/qasymptoms.htm#d981130

There are different types of auditory dyslexia - maybe this sight will shed some light.

I have mild dyslexia - I see things with my eyes - but by the time it gets to my brain and out on my hand with a pen it becomes something else - I can't check the box that says Pays close attention to detail unless you give me the time it takes me to double and triple check. Oddly enough it's most times with numbers.

-Some days it's a real challenge to be a bookkeeper!

Oh and welcome -

BusynMember

I think the problem is that your son is seeing a psychiatarist, and often they really don't understand Learning Disability (LD)'s or anything neurological because it's not their field. For an actual diagnosis and to find out what it means, I'd take him for a neuropsychologist (a psychologist with extra training in the brain) evaluation, especially if he is kind of "not always there" or socially clueless. My daughter has an auditory processing disorder and needs Learning Disability (LD), but this does NOT pertain to her understanding ME or conversations. She doesn't understands verbal directions and needs them written out for her. But other than in the education area, she's fine, and is very socially astute so I'm (as a layperson only) not convinced that your son only has a processing disorder. At least, that particular problem has not played out like your son's in our home...
If your son is "spacing out" I'd want to get a better picture of why that may be happening. Long ago they used to say "she only hears what she wants to hear" about me. But it turns out I have a NonVerbal Learning Disorder (NVLD) and lots of other neurological soft signs. I didn't not hear on purpose or because I WANTED to block something out. I actually did NOT hear certain things, and there were some things that were whispered that I would hear that I wasn't SUPPOSED to hear...lol. I have lots of sensory issues that really haven't improved with age, however they CAN improve if your child gets the proper interventions. Also, certain medications can space you out or make a spacey kid even more spacey. Hope this helped and didn't confuse you even more...lol. I'd definitely want the neuropsychologist evaluation since it seems as if the school and therapist can define the problem, but have no idea what is really causing it, what it's called, or how to treat it. That's not very helpful to your child. DDD, I think the problem may very well be due to your child's Aspergers.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I don't know what it is but I agree with the others,my K and N, need things explained A LOT differently than other kids. Somethings they get. Sometimes I really have to dig deep, I have to think about what I am saying, asking, explaining etc. Think of different ways to word it... and try again, maybe again... and try very hard not to get MAD or FRUSTRATED! LOL
N will look at me with her huge eyes and just look blank, not "hear" me... I have to usually explain things more often to her. But she seems more on the Spectrum than K.
Also when K is very elevated, she has a lot of chaos in her mind, she can't focus or concentrate. So if I tell her something it isn't that she isn't listening, but it may take her a while to "Filter" out what I said. Sometimes 5 minutes later she will do it or respond!!!
It blows me away.
WELCOME

gcvmom

Here we go again!
You probably need to have a speech pathologist evaluate him to get a more definitive diagnosis on this.

Just my 2 cents.