Does your dog?????

DDD

ever sleep on his backbone with all fours in the air?????? ;) I can't believe that Ace (our newly adopted wonder dog!) is sound assleep with his front paws up in the air and his hind legs spread in a most inappropriate position. :redface:

Seems like I recall that our last Boxer did that too. How RUDE!
HOW FUNNY!

Does your dog do that, too??????? DDD

Andy

Yep, our bichon does also. Just frozen solid looking like a stuffed animal thrown on its back. So weird (and rude as you said)!

Lothlorien

I've seen lots of dogs do this. Usually, they wouldn't do that if they weren't totally 100% comfortable and at home. You have apparently achieved that with him. He's blissfully happy.

klmno

Yep- every day and night- both dogs! I guess it's cooler and probably feels good after spending a lot of time with the belly down. But I agree- it's obviously not the most modest position!

Mine dream, too. You can tell because the paws move like they are running, then stop, then the dog starts licking it's lips. I figure the dog FINALLY caught that squirrel that ran up the tree. :D

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Oh heck, yeah.

A few of them were *artful* in their sleep, too....with one front leg bent and the other one pointing to the sky. It looks like they are/were posing or giving directions.

Suz

Fran

Former desparate mom
Our new pup doesn't sleep like that but lays on his back with legs spread when we are in the family room. It is strange to have him so exposed. The other two didn't do it.

muttmeister

I think all of my dogs have slept like that part of the time. The two I have now share my bed with me and they often sleep on their backs but they have taken it one step further and demand pillows. I often find them asleep on the bed with their heads on the pillows. And they like to lie on the cushion of my breakfast nook but there is a pillow in the corner and they always move it out so they can place their heads on it.
when I see them sleeping on the bed, heads on pillows, sometimes covered up, I often wonder what their wolf cousins would think to see them like that. LOL

klmno

That's funny, MM! My dogs share the bed too but they are little dogs- your's soound like big ones! One of mine kicks me (or difficult child when he was here) off and on all night.

muttmeister

When I bought my new bed several years ago a few people asked me why in the world I was buying a queen size bed when I live alone. Obviously, it was to make room for the dogs.!!!!

Star*

call 911........call 911
DDD

I belive he trusts you fully.

I have two that will sleep like that - Pootie and Casper. Pootie has NO SHAME whatsoever. Legs splayed out like a broken pair of plyers. Casper upon waking in that position likes to be powdered (he's white with sensitive skin and belly breaks out) so we put baby powder with cornstarch on his belly and bottom. He can almost get his back legs up to his ears - it's hysterical to watch.

The other Pit bull will never EVER be found on his back. In his mind he's the Alpha and won't take a chance that someone could "get" him. Occasionally I see him sleeping on his belly with the pads of his back feet up; and when I see that I know he's relaxed. It's a shame he stays wound so tight the rest of the time.

I'm watching 2 puppies right now and they both came to the house as balls of biting, unpottytrained, boundless energy. They both now sleep on their backs, snore, are housetrained and we're working on NO BITE. But they're enjoying being on a schedule.

I think they're leaving this week - I'm glad I'm getting attached.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Not only do our dogs sleep like that, but our cat does, too! But no one has ever accused him of being normal. And the JRT and the heeler both will lay on their bellies with their hind legs stretched out behind them, too.
They're a happy lot.