Dr. Phil on bullying

KTMom91

Did anyone see Dr. Phil's shows on Monday and Tuesday? I'm just now getting around to watching, and Tuesday's show has a clip from our local news regarding the high school wrestler suspended for the "butt drag." The parents of the boy who was "dragged" are on, talking about how their son has been bullied.

Interesting show.

Marguerite

Sadly, I can't comment. We get our US origin shows over here at odd times, often with little resemblance to their original schedule.

I do like watching Dr Phil, although I know he does annoy some people on this site.

Marg

KTMom91

I know nothing about wrestling (my disclaimer), but apparently there is a wrestling move called the "butt drag," where one basically grabs his opponent's butt cheek in order to pin him. During wrestling practice, one boy did the butt drag and dug in too deeply, if you get my meaning, and then was prosecuted for sexual assault and expelled from school for bullying.

Now, not knowing anything but what our local news has said on the subject, I'm of two minds on this. Was the move deliberately taken too far, or were the boys unevenly matched, with one being considerably stronger than the other? Had there been on going trouble between them? If this is an accepted wrestling move, taught by coaches, then why is there so much media attention?

I feel badly for the boy who was "dragged." I hope his folks discussed it with him before they went on national television to talk about this. Embarrassing and painful enough when it's a local case, but I can't imagine a high school boy would be comfortable with the entire world knowing a teammate allegedly inserted his fingers there.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh... poor kid. But then - if the other wrestler didn't actually mean to get quite so familiar, don't you think they would apologize?!