easy child/difficult child is two months sober!

rejectedmom

He went to AA after his group therapy and got his chip. I am so proud of how hard he is working at getting well. It is such a contrast to his brother who never did anything but go through the motions.

Nancy

Oh RM that is wonderful! I know you are so proud of him and I'm sure he is proud of himself too.

difficult child has never gotten to six months and I hope I'm not jinxing things by saying that but she just passed her 4 months and she will have six months March 5. I am praying for that day but don't want to put any pressure on her so I don't say anything.

Those milestones are so important for their recovery and is a testiment to the hard work he is doing.

Nancy

buddy

Maybe he learned something from his brother's situation??? That would be a good thing I suppose. Congrats to him, I am glad you can feel such a proud moment like that. Much encouragement for continued success! HUGS, Buddy

rejectedmom

Thank you everyone!

Nancy, my son is taking Rivia and it is really helping. If your daughter isn't on it she should ask about it. It kills the cravings and therfore works BEFORE they drink not like the antibuse which works only after they drink.

Buddy, easy child/difficult child is nothing like his brother. He is highly motiviated to be sucessful in life. He is respectful and curteous at all times. He started drinking in college to be social and it esculated from there. Aspies are at very high risk for alcoholism. He was also geneticly predisposed and also exposed to alcohol in utero. This was not something that we didn't anticipate or warn him about. But like most young people he thought we were being over reactive and didn't take our warnings to never drink to heart. Unfortunately his experimantation lead to dependance because of the mitigating factors. Also his recovery would not have happened if he didn't have the psycotic break. He never saw his drinking as a problem before. Aspies and their black and white thinking. He thought that because never drove while under the influence and never went to work that way it was ok. He started work at noon so hangovers were also never a factor. In his mind he felt alcohol never interfered with his life even though he has told me that he was cited 3x for being intoxicated in a public place. Never arrested, just cited and fined so his answer was to only drink at home...A literal interpretation of the language and a logical solution for an Aspie. So in a way his recent psycosis was perhaps a blessng in disguise. He cannot drink with his medication and he must take it for life so that got the dialog going that put him into substance abuse counseling. I am hoping it will stick and that the Aspie in him will actually work in his favor this time.

Nancy

Thanks RM, I have never heard of rivia before but it's definitely something I'll keep in mind. So far she's staying sober on her own but if it becomes an issue I will suggest it.

Nancy

DDD

RM I just looked that medication up (it's spelled Revia, by the way) and it sounds like it has really helped some people but evidently caused initiation problems for some. Thanks for sharing. I wasn't aware of it and now have it in my brain should the motivation come along. DDD

DDD

Sounding like at the beginning of taking the medication a number of people had nausea, cramping etc. My info came from people who made comments about their experiences with the medication...nobody I know and not from a medical professional. Just the MD website. DDD

Ephchap

RM, what a great update ! Wooohooooo. Each milestone is huge ! It's great to hear he's doing so well.

(Nancy, I hear 'ya. My son's 2 year sobriety birthday is coming up, and we're all holding our breath)

Hugs,
Deb

rejectedmom

DDD, no side effects here. I read up on the drug and they said thatt those that had the gastrointestinal problems are mostly the ones who were still using. They need to be off all substances for at least a week before starting the Revia.

Thank you Flowergarden :)

Epshap, thank you for the congrats. My best wishes to your difficult child two years...WOW!!!!

DDD

I'm really happy for you...and for him. Obviously he is giving his best shot and the Revia has helped him get where he is. Fingers crossed for 2012 to be the Recovery Year. Hugs. DDD