Eeyore's friend wants to commit suicide

JJJ

Eeyore came home today and told me that his friend (11 years old) wants to commit suicide tonight, he has a plan and said goodbye. I called the school and demanded they pull the principal out of her meeting. She is trying to reach the boy's parents right now. I'm so desperately hoping they get to him in time. Eeyore says if his friend succeeds, he wants to join him :(

How did life get to be so hard for children???

KTMom91

Hope the principal gets hold of the parents, and that they believe her. So, so sad...things are just too hard for children today. Hugs to you and Eeyore. I'm so glad he told you.

klmno

OMG- can he give you any info about the kid so you might be able to help locate the parents?

It sounds like it might be a good idea for you to keep an extra eye on yours anyway, just to be on the safe side.

LoneStar14

Hugs and prayers! DEFINITELY keep an eye out on Eeyore. We're finding difficult child's current situation may have to do with a group mentality.

Star*

call 911........call 911
J3,

Good job getting to the people who can help this child. Now I would turn my attentions to Eeyore and find out what the heck is going on with him.

Hugs
Star

Marguerite

A suggestion - if ever someone says to you that they just want to die, to end it all, talk to them. Listen to them. Nobody really wants to die, they just want whatever-it-is that is hurting them, to stop hurting.

I ask a question - if you had a magic wand that could grant you three wishes, what would you wish for?

The message here has to be - if the magic wand can grant wishes, it can do magic. it can change the world. You could even have world peace if you want. You can change ANYTHING. So what do you want?

The answers will lead the way. They can be very different, they may not be what you expect, the person giving you the answers may also be surprised at what comes out.

The next step is to try and grant the wishes in some way, somehow.

A woman I spoke to said she didn't want to be alone any more. So we organised for her to go stay with her brother while she re-thought her life. it goes without saying that she also took herself off to counselling, because in asking her three wishes, she realised she didn't want to die, she just wanted her emotional pain to stop. That was wish no 1. And a therapist, plus living with her brother, made it easier for her to keep living.

A child can do this too. Children don't always understand the finality of suicide, for them it really is a desperate cry for the pain to stop.

Marg

JJJ

Marg - Thanks for the idea. I'm going to use it! I'd been having them tell me one thing they enjoyed about their lives, but yours is a much better idea. Thank you.

klmno

It sounds like you're keeping Eeyore in a good place- I like the "what would you wish for" idea, too.

I take it the friend must be safe and sound this morning? (I hope)

JJJ

Hi all,

I spoke with the principal this morning. Apparently, Eeyore had told a teacher at school but felt that the teacher didn't understand the other boy was serious. The teacher had taken Eeyore seriously and called the boys parents. The principal (who didn't know the teacher had called) drove to the boys house when no one answered their phone. Both boys are at school and being helped by counselors today. Eeyore has a therapist appointment today, so I'll give her a heads up too.

trinityroyal

I'm relieved to hear Eeyore's friend is okay, and that both children are getting help at school.

How wonderful that Eeyore's teacher and principal took the situation seriously, and acted quickly.

JJJ

My daughter's second suicide attempt happened when she was attending this school. I spent the few weeks leading up to her suicide attempt begging them to see she needed their help. They never saw it (to them it was just a typical girl-boy middle school conflict, aggravated by her low IQ, but to them not a huge deal - to Kanga a gigantic deal). I think that frightened them, that even with a parent telling them what to look for, that they missed it. Thankfully, this school has a wonderful principal and asst principal and they seem determined never to miss the signs again.

trinityroyal

My daughter's second suicide attempt happened when she was attending this school. I spent the few weeks leading up to her suicide attempt begging them to see she needed their help. They never saw it (to them it was just a typical girl-boy middle school conflict, aggravated by her low IQ, but to them not a huge deal - to Kanga a gigantic deal). I think that frightened them, that even with a parent telling them what to look for, that they missed it. Thankfully, this school has a wonderful principal and asst principal and they seem determined never to miss the signs again.

Goodness! How awful.
It's horrific that Kanga had to go through that at school without getting the supports you had been begging for, but I am thankful that they learned from it and are now determined to take the right action.