Effects of long term stress

flutterby

Fly away!
http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/stress-management/in-depth/stress/art-20046037

I think this is an important article for all of us. We all deal with extremely stressful situations on a daily basis, that most others don't understand and we feel isolated - which, in turn, creates more stress.

With so many of us experiencing long term health issues/chronic illnesses that could have been brought on by stress, and are certainly exacerbated by it, it's time we take a serious look at the effects long term stress can have on the body.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Heather,
These are very interested articles (didn't make it all the way through the second one yet). Knowing that high stress levels can cause all sorts of problems is one of the reasons I exercise so much. It really helps me work through my stress in a positive way. I know lately I've been a bit off in the exercise department and I can definitely tell the difference it makes in how I deal with stress.

On a personal note, one thing I found interesting was when they were talking about the two stress hormones, Adrenaline and Cortisol. Due to my Addison's disease I don't have any cortisol in my body naturally and take it daily in pill form. I wonder what effect this has on my stress levels (is a good or bad thing)? I know when I'm under a lot of stress I'm suppose to increase my medications-usually I only do it under physical stress-wonder if I should be doing it more under emotional stress-guess I'll need to check with my dr.

Anywhoo, very interesting topic-I think stress is huge problem among us. It will be interesting to see what people have to say.