Falling Apart

toughlovin

I think that is the key being willing to help when they want help..... letting them know you love them and you will be there for them when they are doing the right things..... and that you will not support them in doing the wrong things or self destructive things. As the board knows we have helped our son get into programs numerous times... and when he has walked away or been kicked out we have let him be homeless..... but whenever he wanted to come in from the cold we helped him. And I think that has been important in letting him know we care and want what is best for him but we will not support him in doing the wrong thing. I think letting him be homeless in winter was really important because now he is in a program and he knows if he walks out that he is on his own..... and in his current situation if he leaves there will be warrants out for his arrest and i think he knows also that we would not help him avoid jail... so that hopefully helps him stay on a path towards recovery.

I do think making those calls and gathering information can be helpful to you.... just knowing what direction you can give him when he is ready can help give you some peace of mind. The waiting until he is ready is really really agonizing though.

TL

Sent from my iPad using ConductDisorders