Fibromyalgia and Disability

Jody

Okay, friends, I need some help. The last couple weeks at work have been very rough for me. I don't know how much more I am going to be able to work. The achiness, and flu like symptoms of fibromyalgia on a daily basis is taking a toll. My brain is not functioning correctly. I can't concentrate and alphabetize or get things done, no matter how hard I try. It's just not there. Once in a while something intelligent might come out of my mouth, and when that happens, I am like see it's still working. It's just not working right. The doctors call it fibro fog. I just feel stupid. I can be watching a tv show and it will go to commercial and I sit there the entire commercial trying to figure out what it was I was watching. Scary. Some days are better than others.

I sat in the chair last night and not feeling sorry for myself just evaluating where I am. Everything hurt, my facial bones, my ankles, hands, fingers, neck, knees, behind, everything. I am not sure when you decide that you no longer can work. I have worked since I was fifteen, mostly two jobs. I can't quit. but think if I do lose this job that I would probably qualify for disability. How can you apply while you working? I dont think I can. Someone said you had to be unemployed for a year to actually qualify for benefits. Um how do you live? I am so confused. I have no family to care for me so thats out of the question.

I do think I am going to ask my Dr. for something for pain, tylenol is just not cutting it. I am getting ready to hire a housekeeper to come in every two weeks and do some cleaning for me. Don't know how Im going to afford it but I am. Any suggestions about what to do?

cubsgirl

((hugs)) sorry no suggestions. I know when I qualified for disability I had to be not working for over a year. It's hard when you are the sole breadwinner. I don't know what to tell you other than I hope that you feel better soon.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
We have a woman at work that gets disability for fibro. She is allowed to make so much per week or month before it cuts into her disability. She's been working there 14 years, and applied while working.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well, don't feel too "foggy" over those commercials........there are quite a lot of them I don't even know what they're selling. LOL

Believe it or not the doctor that treats your fibro symptoms might be of some help to you in this dept. Doesn't hurt to ask. I know a few people who were able to get disability / filed while still working. I know two of them somehow went through their docs offices.....but other than that I dunno how that was done.

I'd still try. Never hurts to try.

((hugs))

DDD

Jody I have next to NIL info to offer. I can tell you that easy child/difficult child who, as you may remember, finally got approved for disability this year after many rejections is "encouraged" to seek part time employment by Social Security. Honestly, if I were you, I would call and ask the toll free SS people what options you have. :) I would not identify myself (afraid of the Big Brother Syndrome) but you could get someone who is knowledgeable and able to explain your options. You have worked hard to get a new home and stabilize your life and I would hope that the government has a way to supplement your efforts. Hugs DDD

flutterby

Fly away!
You don't have to be out of work for a year. You have to have a condition that is going to make you unable to work for a year. I waited 2 years to file because I wouldn't admit that this was my life now. Then it took another 2 years to get approved. By the time I got an attorney - after my first denial - my attorney said that I could try to work and that as long as I didn't work 52 weeks it would be ok. But there is an income limit, too, which is right around $1,000 per month.

There are certain conditions that automatically qualify you for SSDI and if someone qualified for SSDI while they were still working they probably had one of those conditions. Those conditions are severe, though, such as pancreatic cancer, etc.