frustrating but hard not to laugh...

buddy

I was thinking of this rage Q had on Mon night, It was just verbal and he was at the bottom of the stairs so I stayed upstairs to give us some space, he couldn't see me and I could stay quiet and not worry about his seeing my face.

He went on and on about how mad he was calling me every name in the book....then he said...AND YOU ARE NOT EVEN MY MOM ANYMORE, I DONT EVEN LOVE YOU, but sometimes I do love you, BUT NOT RIGHT NOW!

Is that progress??? LOL

Ktllc

Yes yes yes!! It does want to make you smile, but I would see it as progress. He was able to use words to voice his frustration. If he only could lose the name calling...

family mum

i think that is amazing! For him to be able to recognize 2 conflicting emotions at the same time, wow. They need to vent, it,s even healthy to vent ( isn't that part of what we all do here?) For him to stay a verbal, even if really loud, and still be aware that he loves you... it,s kind of an immature way of saying what we do sometimes - I love you but I don't love how you are behaving - kind of thing.

I would smile too.

Calamity Jane

You know, Buddy, I'm 53 y/o, and my 90 y/o mom lives with us. I have the exact same stream of consciousness as Q running thru my head just about every day! I know how he feels!! God love him.

susiestar

Roll With It
in my opinion that is AWESOME!!! It has to be a lot more than a baby step for him to verbalize 2 conflicting emotions. I know my kids still can't always do this reliably and heck, I have yet to hear many other adults do it. He was sooo angry, he clearly wanted to hurt you because you were the target of his anger/frustration, but he still couldn't take that ultimate shot at you. in my opinion that is a HUGE thing - how many times do easy child kids say 'I hate you" or "I don't love you" when they are super angry? I have heard this a LOT and I know it hurts. Heck, I remember my 3yo cousin totally WRECKING his mom with that statement. She was foolish enough to let him see how effectively it hurt her, and to try to 'woo' his love with junk food and toys and new things, so he kept her over that barrel until, well, he still does it to her now and then and he is in college!

So in my opinion this is HUGE! Q simply could NOT deny his feelings and allow himself to hurt you. Totally a huge thing and it makes him a far nicer person than a lot of people I know.

buddy

Thanks everyone, that's why I posted it, for us these outbursts are so frequent I dont post them all, but this DID seem different. I hate that probably everyone outside and in the building can hear him but I just had to listen to what was really going on as usual....what the meaning under it all was, and then when he said that....Yeah, I guess I almost took it as a direct "I love you" which he does say but often like we all say it....as a more affectionate good bye. (like at night when we say good night, I love you....to eachother) So this did seem more deliberate in his thinking....

Thanks for the thoughts!