frustration concerning my difficult child

dreamer

sorry, I deleted my post about my oldest difficult child. Was not sure I said what I wanted to correctly. LOL. Then I edited it and then still was not sure but after I had edited it, I tried to delete it and it would not simply delete entirely. I got this message I had to have at least 10 characters or something like that.

My apologies to everyone.

I guess my post was kind of------I think my oldest might be on spectrum rather than (or in addition to) being bipolar. But she is 19, has not been in school in a few years.....so- does it even matter ?

dreamer

Umm, I am meaning it does not matter in that any treatment is not dependant on any diagnosis, ---no "accomodations" are exactly happening, her schooling is on my plate, and such, and treatment is aimed at symptoms manifesting. So what we are working with is driven by only her symptoms, and nothing else. Focus is on specific issues.....a lot of simple general coaching with a mentor. THats why I said it did not matter, really. Either way, the plan of action is still basically the same.

meowbunny

If it matters for medications or disability, I'd say yes. Otherwise, no. It sounds like you have some good things in place whatever her diagnosis and that's the important thing. If they don't work because the diagnosis is wrong, then it obviously would be time to change things. Of course, if the diagnosis was correct and things weren't working, things would still have to change. So, I'd say you're right -- it really doesn't matter.

nvts

Hi! I think it would be best to be sure that you have a good diagnosis. If it came down to being able to get medicaid, disability, assisted living, etc. she might be able to get them quicker with a diagnosis already in place.

Just a thought!

Beth

dreamer

She already has her soc sec and Medicaide....so we do not need a more defined diagnosis for that. She is no longer in school, has not been in school for a few years, so it is not needed for that. So.....I guess, since her treatment is based on symptoms, I guess maybe it really is not that critical ?