Good Morning Saturday

Marguerite

OK, I know it's early, but it's after 5 pm here, I need to get my evening chores done.

We've had a relaxing day here. difficult child 3 & I have been dog-sitting today, the same dog we minded for a week a few months ago, so she's used to us. Right now I can hear difficult child 3 giggling as he plays with her - she's a white terrier, part poodle. Very spoilt (in that she loves being around people, hates to be alone) but a lovely, gentle nature.

First day of Advent, so I made a Christmas wreath this morning, with difficult child 3's help. We have some weed of a plant which I call honeysuckle (it's not; this has a red/orange flower) and we cut some stems and made the wreath shape by tying them with string. When I was a little girl my mother would make wreaths out of bracken, and then wire camellia leaves into it to make the sort of wreath laid on cenotaphs. I often helped her, so I felt quite comfortable making this one. My mother would have thought it a bit ratty, though - tis one is sparse.
Then I got difficult child 3 to cut me some Christmas Bush from the western side, where it's fully coloured up. The eastern side (the side we can see from the back window) still has some white flowers not fully developed into the deep salmon-red.

Then we stuck Christmas Bush all around the wreath and it's now hanging on the front door. I found some red/green Kangaroo Paw and put that in as well, but there's not much of that this year, the honeysuckle and wisteria have swamped it all. The backyard is a jungle.
Time to get out the advent calendar. difficult child 3 loves opening the little doors. I don't like to cover up my favourite George Meis calendar of the Greek Islands. I love his photography, especially Santorini.

Whatever faith you are, in whatever way you celebrate this time of the year - I hope it will be joyous and peaceful for you and your family.

easy child 2/difficult child 2 is on the way home from work, she rang up to get the last details of some groceries. What a darling! husband is on the way home from the train track - they had two Christmas parties today, despite the overcast weather. It's like yesterday - not raining, it is just humidity so high you can feel the occasional droplet of condensation. He will probably have to drive through fog, on the plane-wing clifftop. Two parties, but he got more train driving in and has now got enough hours to go for his licence as a steam train driver. he will be tired but happy when he gets home.
Greek salads for all tonight. And maybe some ravioli.

But for now - there's a white fluffy thing waiting to be taken for a walk. It's cooler now, at this end of the day. Ice water is in the fridge, the tap water is getting too warm to drink.

Everywhere there is colour. The jacaranda is still in flower but the trees are filling up with leaves as well. Against the Christmas Bush the purple and the red look wonderful. The gum trees have new growth - some is shiny red, some is lime green. The perfume of various trees fills the air with smells like jasmine, orange blossom and frangipani. This for us is the sight and sound of Christmas approaching, even to the smudge of bushfire smoke on the horizon, making the sunsets more vivid than ever.

I love snow too, maybe because for me it is always a novelty. One day I would like to experience a white Christmas, but until then I am happy with what we have. There is nothing like the smell of frangipani to remind me of holidays, Christmas and our wedding day (we had frangipani flowers - it was in January).

School is nearly over for the year - this adds to the joy!

Enjoy your Saturday, everyone.

Marg

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Well Marg sounds like you had a good day with the making of the wreath. The way you describe things there is so vivid. One day I would love to see a Christmas your way.

Been working on addressing and finishing cards here. I am about to run out of envelopes so either I cut the list (naaahhh) or I go to the store and get another box.

Think I am starting to come down with something. Not sure what but I feel achy and just not good. Have to get it out of my system though. For some reason we have an over abundance of things (appointments for all and a couple fun things) this month.

Not sure what will happen today as it is one of only 2 days between now and Christmas that something isn't scheduled. So I will probably hide from the phone and door.

When our in home worker stopped yesterday I was surprised to open the door and find our case worker had arrived ahead of him. We had no idea she was coming. I love surprise visits (not). It seemed to go well but you just never can tell.

Hope everyone else has a good day.

Beth

Wiped Out

Staff member
Good Morning,

Marguerite-I hope you are enjoying the dog sitting. We are dog sitting for my nephew's dog today and tomorrow. He's a big black lab (ours is a black lab as well but smaller) and we're due a snowstorm so it will be messy in the house. Your advent wreath sounds really cool. I would love to see a picture of it!

Beth-you snuck in on me. I hope you are feeling better. I know the feeling of those busy schedules especially at this time of the year. Hugs.

I was so tired after last night's dramatics (see other post) that I went to be early last night-fell asleep on the chair around 8:30 and went up at 9:00.

This morning I'm heading off to work and then I'm off to do a bit of Christmas shopping :shopping: easy child has a meeting today and I'll pick her up when she is done which I hope is early because of the snowstorm that is going to hit.

I also have plans for a nap :sleeping:and a visit to the health club :smile: Tonight we will decorate the tree and watch Christmas movies (and I'll probably make hot buttered popcorn to go with it-yum).

I hope everyone enjoys a peaceful day. :pet:

Fran

Former desparate mom
Good Morning all. I'm glad it's Saturday.

Marguerite, I love those vines that are orange/yellow flower. The name escapes me. Your wreath sounds lovely. We are surrounded with pine trees, so I plan to use those branches to decorate. Have fun with the pup.

Beth, hope you feel better soon.

Wiped out, staying in during a snow storm to decorate the tree sounds like a good idea.

I took the dogs through the state park(1/4 mile from house) and did an enthusiastic walk. It was wondedrful. Wish I had the time to do that everyday.

Tonight is a work Christmas Party. I don't know a soul. Should be a blast. :miseltoe: Oh well.

I'm hoping to get the tree up tomorrow if we can move furniture. :xmasdec: The cards should be done soon after.

I'm looking forward to activities of the next month but it can be a bit overwhelming.

Good Morning all I had a rough night and woke up with a very bad headache.

We went to CiCi's Pizza, stayed for about an hour, difficult child ate pretty well then played video games, when we were ready to go difficult child said he was still hungry so being such a good mom I fixed him another plate. He watched cartoons instead of eating and everytime I asked him to eat his food he would give me the evil eye. Then he crumbled up a cracker and threw it across the table it was so time to go so i grab him and leave husband to get the rest difficult child proceeds to scream all the way out the restaurant telling me he doesn't love me anymore and continued this all the way home and ended up sleeping in our bed i have just been waiting for something like this to happen

here's to hoping for a better day

TerryJ2

Oh, Marg, what a lovely note! And beautiful flowers! What a nice thing to wake up to.
Beth, I hope you feel better. Any chance you can go back to bed?
Sharon, you deserve fun shopping and a nap, for sure!
A morning walk, Fran! I love those. Way To Go. Sorry about the yucky Christmas party. I hate those. Just head for the food.
Christal, your eating experience sounds SoooooOOOoo familiar! So sorry. I hope he's better today.
I'm hoping to go for a walk and do some minor Christmas decorating today ... I'm having difficult child stay home until noon, purportedly to help me but mostly so I don't have to zoom from activity to activity at his various friends' houses, the way he would prefer. :)
I slept very well and think I've finally calmed down from my friend's table saw disaster and emerg. rm visit.
Have a great weekend, everyone.