Having a rough day today

2much2recover

My 14 year old difficult child scores 140 which is border line genius. It has always boggled my mind how he can have such high intelligence and no common sense.
Ironically that is also the IQ score of my difficult child daughter - after being told the score I was told that at least it wasn't higher which could lead to her being more of the "unable to socialize" group LOL Well ain't that grand coming from a psychologist!
My latest therapist, after listening for a bit said "sounds like she would make an excellent lawyer". Hah, she has her paralegal degree but she can't be a lawyer because she did a felony by trying to run someone over with a car. After I told him that he said "yeah that will keep you from getting your law license" LOL

He played the role well in telling us what we wanted to hear and making it appear that he was doing good but again he could only keep the masquerade going for so long.
Yes, I completely understand this. As luck would have it I have an excellent memory and when difficult child lies - she forgets what lie she told which would help me to catch her in it, though, especially through this last contact with her I would not confront her when I caught her lying I would just make a mental check of it. No use confronting them as that just causes them to rip off the "nice" mask and pull at the evil one.

Supporting you and sending you hugs!!
Thank you so much for the support, I am so glad I found this site.

Scent of Cedar *

There are those times when it just kicks me in the gut to be the opposite of my child and know that yeah, like someone who has "lost" their child in another way, mine is lost to me. It's at times, a living hell of grief and heartbreak.
I don't think I will ever "get over it". I think I will just have times where it really hurts me and times where I don't even think about it. But be over it? I don't think I will ever get over it.

Me, either. There are times when I am so thankful for this site. No one who has not lived this could possibly understand it.

I am really sorry for the pain of it, 2m2r. For you, and for me, too.

It is always worst at the holidays.

Birthdays are tough too, but the holidays are especially hard.

Still, we know now how to weather the storm.

It is strengthening to go through it all again, to think about it all again, to pose these kinds of questions to the parts of ourselves that somehow refuse to believe it.

Cedar

HeadlightsMom

2much2recover --- I feel your anguish in your words. So understandable! As so many have said, it's a hard, hard, H-A-R-D path to walk -- this parenting of difficult child's. And it's often especially difficult during the holidays. It's not easy the rest of the year, either, but at least there isn't a continual barrage of media blitz around how we should all have Rockwellian families. TV, movies, songs, passersby on the street, house decorations, store decorations, etc......... our society builds it up to a ridiculous crescendo of expectation for families. It's not discreet, either.......pretty darned, "In your face" about it.

by the way, our son (now 24) was diagnosed Antisocial Personality Disorder. I have vacillated on how accurate that is. Sometimes it seems blatantly true. Sometimes not. Sometimes I just think the seemingly "real" connections are part of his clever con game. Perhaps........to all of the above. But, either way, life works better when I keep strict boundaries with difficult child. I love our difficult child, HOWEVER.......... life also works better when I see him infrequently. Just a fact.

We need to make a decision to celebrate our lives, to cherish ourselves and our stories. We need to stop comparing ourselves with those moms who get the Hallmark holidays. (This is especially true of myself.)

Cedar --- Yep, yep, yep, and YEP! Eloquently said! It's the "comparison" part that has so often gotten me into trouble. What a catalyst for a downward spiral. I was thinking that about 2 weeks ago and spent a few days just noticing my own tendency (unspoken, no less) to compare to others. Yuuuuuuck! Nothing good comes of it and I wasn't even consciously aware I was doing it that much. But I was. No I am more aware and seeking to halt it in its tracks pronto. Just feels better on every level -- less judgmental of myself, of others and, frankly, even of difficult child. Never thought love and detachment could be had in the same breath, but discovering how they can be.

MWM --- Also a great reminder about how Antisocial Personality Disorder even appears differently in brain imaging. Helps to remember that it's a disease. A vicious one, but still a disease (whatever the root cause is).

2much2recover ---- I'm so sorry to hear it's been such a rough time for you. But how wise you are to get back into counseling (I'm in now, too!) as it helps "untangle" the crazy knot that this mess is. I feel your heart. I have greatly appreciated your posts for the few months I've been in this forum. You strike me as a wise seeker, who is both strong and sensitive at the same time. These are all empowering strengths during the Drama Tornadoes (what I like to call 'em) our difficult child's wind up around us. These tornadoes really do suck.

My heart, prayers and support are with you! Hoping by the time you read this that things have settled a little. Take care and find some way to pamper yourself. Even the smallest pamperings help so much. Besides.........you deserve some pampering! We all do!