Healthy living-how's it going

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. The holidays can be such a huge struggle.

As most of you know, I've been struggling lately with healthy eating and fitting in the club. I'm not doing horribly-have only gained 2 pounds but feels more like 10 (I think because I haven't been doing the weights as much).

I'm making sure I drink enough water and eating a healthy lunch and breakfast each day-at least I have some consistency!

I'm trying to cut myself some slack and not get too upset over the fact that I can't get to the club as much right now. I figure over break I can recharge and hopefully look at when I can schedule in the club once I'm back at work after break.

I think the new AD I'm on is helping a bit (I'm taking fluoxetene now instead of the celexa which didn't agree with me). I notice that the little things aren't getting me as upset as they had been recently.

How are you all doing? Are you doing anything special to help with the holidays?

LittleDudesMom

Hi Sharon!

Good Attitude! Do what you can and get through this last week of school before break! It's what I'm doing and I don't spend the day with classroom of kids!

Me, I'm still plugging along. The trainer at the gym told me, after I bemused that the weight loss is really slowed but I can tell a difference in my clothes lately, that I should stay off the scale for awhile. I've stopped paying for WW (which was running me $40 a month). I figure I've learned the good stuff and still maintain a journal for my points (stopped doing the core, but use it now and then). The extra $40 can come in handy in these times!

Trainer said that what is really important is how I feel. If I'm eating healthy (fairly) doing cardio 4/5 times a week plus weights 3 times, he feels I'm ahead of the game and shoudn't be discouraged if my body is busy "realigning". I can tell you that I really do feel a difference in the clothing dept. I wish times weren't so tight so I could feel good about going out and buying some new duds - but I feel I need to bank up the savings "just in case". I am going to have to buy some new bras. I bought some in the spring, and I'm needing to get a smaller size (lordy it's the inch measurement and not the cup size!!!!!!). All of my clothes from last winter are too huge. Last time I weighed, I was down 54 pounds. I bought some winter things in the late summer that will just have to do. I found a few things in my closet from a few years ago that will also just have to do. I am lacking in the dressy stuff - only one really nice outfit. But, if I really need something, I'll get it.

I am still enjoying the gym and have met some really nice folks - and, speaking from a single woman of 48, there's some pretty good views there!!

Other health-wise, I'm coming down with what I think is going to be a doozy of a cold - naturally my busiest week of the year! Mentally, I'm exhausted. I am so looking forward to the hoidays. Especially after from the 25th on. I'm traveling this weekend but can't wait until there are no family obligations other than my children and myself!

2009 is fast approaching. I hope most of you have made some dents in your health goals. I've made a dent, not as big as I had hoped by this time, but a dent nonetheless.

Sharon

Marguerite

I'm still not getting much in the way of exercise, I'm fairly sure I'm losing muscle mass, but I'm still very slowly losing weight. Maybe a kilo a month. I've broken my diet slightly at this time of the year (I had one of my mince pies tonight) but find if I otherwise keep to my diet (and maybe eat more fibre; say, another serve of muesli last thing at night) then I'm still doing OK.

The weather is definitely beach standard now, but I haven't had much chance to swim. I do walk around the beach though, and forage for shells (which involves a lot of bending and standing, works the legs). One way or another, I want to at least walk more while the weather is good for it.

From past experience, if you set yourself some ground rules as to what to eat over the holidays (such as my rules - no fat, no sugar, keep fibre intake up) then the occasional break in the diet won't be a huge problem, the next day will naturally compensate.

I've found a lovely delicious treasure - a brand of ice cream which is labelled, "Sugar-free". It tastes rich and creamy but is also low-fat. I've been having a serve of it with fresh mango - fabulous!

I love summer, when I can enjoy mangoes. The house smells wonderful, it's easier to feel virtuous and that makes it easier to stick (mostly) to the diet without feeling resentful.

Maybe we need to invent a mango room freshener, to help us all stay on our diets through winter?

Marg

M

ML

Coming in late here but I just love the mango lotion products. If I lived closer I'd bring some by and we'd enjoy a cup of mango tea as well. Hugs, ML

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sharon-It sounds like you are still doing great! You are doing about the same workout times as me-(at least when I get back to my regular workouts).

Marg-I'm glad you are enjoying your sugar free ice cream. I wish I liked mangos but it's one of the few fruits I don't care for. I agree with your ground rules!

ML-Good to see you!

goldenguru

Oh I've been very naughty this holiday. The only good thing is that I'm still walking 3-4 miles every day. I am ready to get back on track and eat better. Sooner rather than later. :)

N

Nomad

Well...
I just went through a couple of difficult months and was really frustrated. We have lots of stress here and it was made worse when we had a death in the family.

I tried exercising more and this didn't help.

Anyway, I work for WW and they tweaked their program very recently. The new change (s) really work for me.

I think it was a combination of something a little "different" to get me motivated again, but also these changes might be good for me.

I'm eating much less sugar than before...some other minor changes...that is probably the biggest one. I'm also writing my food intake down daily. (was not doing so well with this in the last several months).

I lost two pounds last week...even though I let lose a lot on Christmas Day.

I feel more in control now and think I'll be at goal weight again very soon. I'm only a little over now, but I was going crazy trying to get back and frustrated that I couldn't do it.

it is amazing what stress can do....however, I honestly believe it is REALLY WORTH IT...to keep up the good fight.

Hang in there everyone....

p.s. I have heard that Bupropion hydrochloride (Wellbutrin) sometimes helps with weight loss. Has anyone else heard this?

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm doing ok. I'm maintaining but enjoying the yummies of the holidays. I continue to walk on the trails with the puppies most days. Try to eat lighter so I can enjoly the treats and will not step on a scale. So far the clothes still fit and I am neither over full nor deprived.
I vow to not obsess about weight and just try to use common sense. Obviously after the holidays I will go back to the routine of disciplined healthy eating but this has been the first year I have not excessively thought about overeating and just enjoyed the blessings of good food and good company.

Well, it seems like we're all doing well so far, and not stressing about the few pounds we may have put on during the holidays. We have to enjoy ourselves at times, we'll diet later. Fran, you and I have the same ideas!! I love the Winston Churchill quotes.-alyssa