Hello I am new

meyerfamily5

Hello all. I am new. Glad I found this SO happy I am not the only one going through this. So a little bit about me and my family. I am 26 years old and a stay at home mom married to husband also 26 years old. We have three children difficult child: 5 years old, currently diagnosis with PTSD... behavior escalating... doesnt respect people's "personal bubble", constantly defies me, screams at the top of his lungs, aggressive with me and little sister, doesnt like to be wet or dirty (will change clothes multiple times during the day), doesnt like loud noises. When I ask him why he does it he tells me that his brain tells him to. We also have a daughter: 2 years old, speech delay ( in speech therapy) but sweetest thing ever. And DS: 9 months old.

I have difficult child in counseling for about a couple months through our local mental health provider in our County. They are frustrating me to no end because they keep telling me that things need to change at home before they think about medications or anything else. They are not really helping me with anything. I feel like I am at my witts end. It sounds so bad but its much easier for me and my two youngest to have a good day if he is at my moms during the day. I get so on edge and so exhausted half the time.

I have an appointment tomorrow with regular doctor and I am going to explain what is going on and ask for a referral for a neuro psychiatric evaluation.

On my side of the family there is Bi-polar, Depression (I have that), ADD. Two of my nephews have autism. And as for his bio dad.... I know he had some serious mental problems but I dont know what they are.

H

HaoZi

Space issues, sensory issues... has he been tested for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)? Have they even suggested any testing at all? If they're not suggesting testing him for more than PTSD you need to suggest it. No one can help him properly until they know what's wrong.

BusynMember

Before you even said you had family on the autism spectrum, that's what I was thinking. That runs in families and your child has symptoms of sensory integration disorder, which normally does not stand alone. I'd take him to the neuropsychologist, as you plan. Great idea. While you're at it, keep an eye on your two year old for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) as well.

Good luck and let us know what happens :) Welcome to the board!

T

TeDo

I agree with HaoZi and MWM. As soon as you mentioned lack of respect for personal space, my Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) radar went up also. I have one of those. Then when you went on to explain his not liking to be wet or dirty together with loud noise issues, the radar went up farther. Then you mention austistic family members.I agree with MWM to get a neuropsychologist. You might also want to look into a thorough Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation for the sensory stuff. That is what we are doing now. Can't help with things if you don't know what they are. Keep us posted. I feel for all of you.

InsaneCdn

5 years old, currently diagnosis with PTSD... behavior escalating...
We're not an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) household (its amazing what all we DO have, not all in my sig! - but not Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) spectrum), so I'm coming at this from a different angle...

1) PTSD - what kind of an event for a trigger? how long ago?
2) behaviour escalating... starting when?

5 yrs old... = starting school.
There can be a whole range of learning and/or developmental issues that don't really show up much until they hit school.
If you don't find them and solve them... then things get worse. fast. and faster. (been there done that)
Stuff like...
- learning disabilities (dysgraphia, dyslexia, dyscalcula, for starters)
- motor skills issues
- developmental immaturity
- ADD/ADHD
- auditory processing problems
- non-verbal learning disability

ANY of these is enough to drive a kid crazy... AND attracts bullying - the other kids also sense that this kid is "different".
A kid with ANY of these, probably has multiples. For example, LDs often go with ADD/ADHD, as do motor skills issues, etc.
School is so much worse than any other experience for these kids, because NOBODY understands what they need.
(others on this board tell us that its the same story for major dxes like Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), bi-polar, etc.)

That's my "long comment".

Short comment = ditto to the others: Get assessed. As soon as you can.

It doesn't matter what diagnosis(es) you end up with... you need to know what you are dealing with - even knowing part of it, helps.
Its critical for YOU to know - so you know what battles to fight, with whom, etc.
Its critical for SCHOOL to know - for accomodations to have ANY chance of happening.

Hang in there.

doelly

Re: TeDo's response...I just posted regarding my son and the problems we're having...but I failed to mention that he has major "personal-space" issues as well. I noticed you mentioned that raises your Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) radar...I've wondered about that regarding my son but he doesn't exhibit too many of the other symptoms. He does however get very close to (mainly other kids) faces when talking to them...his voice is loud...he wants an immediate response. He'll get into line at school and get right up on the kid in front of him...right in their back! He's aggressive, will just poke a kid for no reason, etc. Do you think he still might have some Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) issue? There are no Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)'s in our family however my husband does have ADHD and...I think I probably do too...just undiagnosed!

T

TeDo

doelly, Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is a whole spectrum. People can have just a few symptoms and others can have them all or they can be in anywhere in between. I have one son who has MOST of the symptoms and I have another one that has boundary issues, literal thinking, and obsessions only.

H

HaoZi

Mine has personal space issues, ADHD, extremely picky in food and clothes (sensory stuff), literal thinking, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) (perfectionist issues on certain things). What was learned about her and diagnosis'd her also diagnosis'd me as an Aspie. Explains the problems I gave my parents! Sometimes it can be many more subtle things than a few major issues. What I've found is that methods used to help and handle Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids also work decently on many of our kids, regardless of diagnosis. Trial and error to find what does work for yours.