Help - Guardianship question

slsh

member since 1999
I know I'm probably going to have to end up finding a lawyer - this stuff shouldn't be so doggone complicated.

Just got a notice that our "court date" was changed re:

"in the matter of the estate of -vs- Boo"

Thank goodness the date was "changed" 'cuz I didn't even know we had one.

So are we going to have to schlep way the heck out to Joliet every year to prove.... what? Is this how guardianships are done - we get some stupid court "supervising" us now that we have guardianship? Heck, I should've just skipped the whole darn thing and never done anything at all.

Anyone know if this is going to be an annual waste of time?

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
From my understanding in what we are planning potentially in difficult child land is yes it will be the annual trek to say yup we want/need to be guardians.

One of gfg1s counselors (one we get along with very much) has guardianship of her sister who has downs syndrome. Not like there is a "cure" for it. But they go every year to review it etc.

Sorry to be the bearer of what you didn't want to hear (read).

Beth

meowbunny

Annual accountings -- both physical and financial -- are pretty common in guardianships. You don't always have to make physical appearances -- check with an attorney to get see if you do in fact need to appear in person. Frequently, the court just wants to know what has happened in the past year, what are plans for following year, how funds were spent, etc. I don't know what the rules are in your state regarding minor guardianships, but Oregon allowed just filling out a document per court rules and that was considered the "appearance," no one had to physically be there.

slsh

member since 1999
OMG, that has to be just about the stupidest thing I've *ever* heard of. I guess we should just all be thankful they don't haul us in to make sure we're responsible caretakers before our kids hit 18.

Boo has no income, never will - I will not do SSI. Has no assets, never will in my lifetime.

What a phenomenal blatant waste of time. Bet you $10 that the state doesn't have to account to any court for the people it's guardians of. Sheesh - I wish I would've known - I never would have gone and made it legal.

Our tax dollars hard at work.

DammitJanet

Sue...you need to do SSI on him now that he is 18. I dont know what your insurance situation is for him with your medical insurance but at some point he will end up going off of it and you will need to get him on medicaid. Getting him approved for SSI now will make this much easier. He is a no brainer for getting approved. Your income wont count.

The SSI will go towards his expenses. I know he has expenses. You also have to think about should something happen to you guys...he would need it then.

I'm with Janet on this one. Anything could happen at any time, and you would surely want Boo to have some type of income. I'd definitely get him on SSI.

I would also bet that the state of IL does not have to account for anything. And hauling yourself down to Joliet is a pain in the rear. I believe they are checking to make sure that the guardian is not misusing funds, as happens often, unfortunately. It is just routine and they do it with all guardianships.

Waving at you from the W burbs... :salute:

DammitJanet

Another thing...on guardianship. I looked into that for my mom and was thankful I didnt go that route and was able to get the POA in time to not have to go that way.

Maybe you could "cancel" the guardianship for him and just get him to do a POA for you so that you could act for him in all matters.

sameold sameold

husband and I are co guardians of our 20 yr old difficult child. We have been since he turned 18, never had to have a lawyer or had to have a yearly review. When we did this the court did appoint an guardian ad litem for difficult child thru the proceedings. It was actually quite an easy process. We do have yearly reviews with Social Security for his SSI, just to show where his money has gone.