Help...need a letter quickly

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have been working on compiling dates/reasons for picking Wee up from school to incorporate into a letter for the advocate to hopefully appeal the decision to put him back in mainstream and further reduce his school day.

The advocate just contacted me and wants the LETTER asap. I haven't even begun to work on it...I was gathering data to support it!

Anyone good at spitting out a quick letter that says "I don't agree with what you're doing?"

mstang67chic

Going Green
I thnk you've already said it in our posts, honestly.

School has sent Wee home X times for Y reasons. As Y is part of his diagnosis/IEP/target behaviors to work on, I don't see how sending him home is accomplishing our set goals for him. As discussed, Wee needs to work on A, B & C. By severly limiting his day at school and/or sending him home on an almost daily/weekly occurance, this impedes his progress on these points.

Not sure what else you are looking for but hope that bit helps!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Here's what I got...

I do not agree with the decision made on June 1 to change Wee's placement or further reduce his hours in school.

Wee was able to remain in school for the duration of his day for almost all of the school days since his placement was changed to the resource room on March 2, 2010, and subsequently has made some real academic gain. Prior to this placement change, even time spent 1:1 with the special education teacher was spent "decompressing" after he came out of the mainstream room, and not on learning.

Wee is a young man with at least average intelligence, going into the third grade, and functioning academically at a level much more closely associated with Kindergarten, if that. He can not be getting FAPE if he is not in school, and he hasn't been at school for most of the 18 months he's been a student at School District. School District continues to skirt responsibility for educating this child by sending him home and reducing his hours, allowing him to continue to fall farther and farther behind.

In addition, the plan that has been laid out for him in the fall of 2010 is almost identical to the plan he started with in the fall of 2009 - which I will remind you failed miserably.

Whether his escalation to physical violence in the past is due to his BIP not being followed, his frustration at being asked to do something he is unable to do, or an inability to monitor his own reaction is irrelevant at this point. If you can not give my son the education he needs and deserves, we need to look at placing him some place that can.

If this is allowed to continue much longer, the consequence is going to be very serious; he is learning the lessons he's being taught - violence gets him out of school, and you go home after lunch.

I might also remind you...in May of 2007, as Wee was coming out of the Early Intervention Preschool that School District contracted him to, with 18 months of a great track record and success behind him to build on, School District wanted to throw him into a classroom of 25 children with 1 teacher and denied him an aid - not even a dedicated aid, ANY aid - to be sure his behavior remained appropriate in the classroom, as EIP had worked so hard to teach him. He subsequently learned that he could act out in the classroom, and no one, yet, has bothered to work to teach him otherwise.