Help. What to do for this?

F

flutterbee

I'm so sick of this :censored2:.

The last few days I've been relatively pain free. It hasn't been all fun and games because the fatigue came on hard and made it feel like the life had been s-ucked right out of me.

Woke up today with my neck hurting again. Tolerable. Well, I just went pee, stood up and my back is killing me. Sharp, sharp intense pain that keeps taking my breath away and is wrapping around my ribs. I think it's probably muscle spasm, although it feels sharper like a pinched nerve would feel.

Anyway, there is only one position I can hold my back in - and it's not a normal one - to keep it manageable. Of course, this stuff never happens during the day when the doctor office is open.

I've tried moist heat and really did nothing. I cannot lie down. No, no, no. Bad. I tried.

What can I do for it? Ideas? Anything?

I'm so sick of this. I'm going to go cry now.

klmno

If I can't get a hold of a doctor, I typically call the pharmicist. It might be too late even for that tonight- plus it's new years day. I'd take advil or motrin and call dr 1st thing tomorrow. If you can't make it until then, it's either an off-hours clinic (we have Patient First here) or the ER. Sorry I couldn't be more help-

One thing I was told when I had a pulled muscle- even though it might seem like it would feel better to try to move in a certain position, it's actually better and relaxes the muscle more to lie down straight, flat out, relax all muscles, and not move. (Fun, HUH?)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Oh Jeez, Heather. I have a back that LOVES to go out on a Saturday night rendering me helpless until Monday AM when I can finally get my chiro on the line.

My chiro always advises ICE and Advil/Motrin for a muscle strain to start for at least 2-3 days, then moist heat.

I once had to roll into our computer chair and then be rolled into the bathroom by difficult child to pee. It was so painful I thought I'd die.

There is this really great stuff called BioFreeze which acts like ice without the uncomfortable ice pack. It is NOT like those other creams like IcyHot or BenGay - ick. No, this stuff is a cooling gel that dries quickly and works great. I have a roll on and take it with me everywhere.

I hope you're able to find a comfy way to lie down. Hugs~

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Are you sure it is a muscle pull? I know that when easy child used to get her UTIs she would have pain like that too.

Just asking? Hope you feel better soon. I hate when my back is out.

Beth

susiestar

Roll With It
Heather,

I am so sorry. This sounds awful. Try ice, motrin or aleve, and hopefully you can get into a comfortable-ish position and get some sleep.

Hugs,

Susie

F

flutterbee

Thanks all

It's not strained; I haven't done anything recently to strain it. It just started out of the blue and is more like inflammation and/or spasms. It wraps around my ribs on the left side which is the side I've been having my upper back/neck pain lately.

It's happened a lot, but only twice before this severe. Once, I had to sleep sitting up for a month. In the chair with the footstool for my legs, pillows on either side of me to keep me up and 2 pillows on the back of the chair and resting against the wall to support my head. The other time, I was walking across the room and it hit and brought me to my knees. The kids weren't home and I called a friend to come over because I couldn't move. That one went away by itself in about an hour or so.

This time, it didn't bring me to my knees but was taking my breath away. I got a muscle relaxer from a friend (flexeril, 5mg) and it's taken the edge off, but it's still there.

fedup

I feel for you, as I have had those wrap-around pains several times. Can you tolerate massaging right below the midline of your ribcage? That sometimes helps a bit. Otherwise, it's pain pills and muscle relaxers as well as the chiropractor- several times. Hope you are able to get in this morning.

I just got over a two week stint of that. It came on just before vacation. I didn't let it ruin vacation, but I spent a lot of time uncomfortable.

DammitJanet

Heather...is it in the rib area itself? Does it feel like your ribs are broken and if you breath in your going to die? Can you touch an area on your ribs and feel pain?

Look up Costochondritis and see if that sounds like it.

Tends to go with fibro and I have had it, Cory has had it, and it is very painful. Large doses of anti-inflammatories and heat or ice whichever feels better. I like heat.

Lothlorien

Definitely use ice. If it's inflammed, heat will make it worse. Call your cardiologist and see if you can take a stronger dose of Flexeril. It sounds like the same kind of muscle spasms that I experience a few time a year also. I used to get it so bad that the spasms would make my stomach spasm and I would vomit. Back then, I was prescibed Elavil for it. Now, on occasion, I take 10 mg Flexeril and double up at night when it's really bad. I'm sure that is too much, but I've done it. Be on the safe side, though and make sure you check with the cardiologist before taking anything.

Are you feeling any better today? Can you call an orthopedist today?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I'd call my doctor! I keep thinking if I ever get sick I just hope I can put a pencil in my mouth and pound out my message on the keyboard!! lol

Hope you are feeling better - sounds to me like it could be stress.

??? YA THINK?? :smile:

F

flutterbee

Janet - I had symptoms similar to costochondritis (and have had them a lot recently) the day before this started happening. This is mostly in my back and wraps around my ribs on the left side.

Loth - You're right. Heat makes it worse...makes it feel like it's spreading. It's not as intense today...just feels like I've been beaten up. There's no way to get comfortable. I finally fell asleep around 7am, but was awake every time I moved. I FINALLY got a hold of the rheumatologist office today. Doctor's office and I have both been trying since the end of November. And of course they need a referral from the doctor faxed. Sigh. So, I called my doctor and they are doing that right away. I'm going to give it 5 minutes and call back. If I can't get anyone AGAIN, I'm calling the insurance company and letting them handle it.

I'm not sure what an orthopedist would do? Could you help me with that? My doctor thinks it's a connective tissue disorder. Would I see a rheumatologist or an orthopedist for that?