Help with shoulder/neck pain

SRL

I thought there was a recent thread about suggestions for helping back pain but I can't locate it. I woke up a few days ago with neck/shoulder/arm pain and it's lasted for the past few days. 2 ibuprofin doesn't touch it. A warm, hot towel does but I obviously can't soak in the tub until it's settled down.

DammitJanet

Well if warmth helps it you can make a rice sock to wear when you cant be in the tub. Just fill a large tube sock with regular rice and tie it off at the top. Microwave it for a minute or so and toss it around to see if the rice is warm enough...if it is heated through but not too hot for you, then put on the ouchy places.

You can secure with an ace bandage if it wont stay on. Keep reheating as needed.

nvts

I've been going "nvts" with the same thing. I've got wicked bad carpal tunnel syndrome and it's moved up my arms into my shoulders. I've noticed it gets worse when I'm trying to sleep. The rice socks work, but eventually, I'm going to have to have the surgery.

Try Aleve. It works pretty well for the pain.

Beth

Lothlorien

Switch off of the heat and use ice as much as you can. Ice helps to calm the inflammation down. Another thing you can do is to roll a small towel up and lay on the floor with the towel roll under your neck to help correct the alignment.

One more thing....my physical therapy does this...take two tennis balls and put in a small pillow case, side by side. Then put a rubber band at the bottom, so the balls don't move. Lie on them so they put pressure on the neck.

tinamarie1

My chiropractor always gives me an ice pack. He believes in alternating heat and cold. BUT, it should be a moist heat like hot shower or bath, or the wet towel heated up.

skeeter

I have a curve of my upper spine (it curves in and makes me look like I have horrible posture).

Heat helps me - I use Thermacare.

I also use the rolled up towel under my neck. Also placing a pillow under your knees at the same time to align the spine straight.

I also will lay with my head hanging off the side of the bed. When my back starts acting up - it's like I need to "stretch" it out.

WNC Gal

If you don't get relief from all of the above options, you can try visiting a chiropractor or physical therapist. If that fails, consult with a pain medicine physician. The good ones are very skilled at diagnosing the source of the pain. I recommend finding someone who is board certified and be sure that they are an interventional practice which means they won't just ramp you up on pain medications, but will actually strive to find the cause of the pain and address it with non-surgical procedures.

You can usually check the credentials of any physician by going to your state's medical board web site (just Google the state name and Medical Board).

Hope you feel better soon - it is challenging going through the day in pain! Also I have been told by my doctor that it is perfectly safe to take up to 4 Advil every 6 hours if just two don't do the trick...