Herb growing questions

DDD

I am not into growing things. In fact I am amazingly ignorant about growth...it took two kids before I figured out how I ended up growing those too.

Anyway, a year or two ago I bought "Bonnie" ?? herbs that come in little pots and you dump them into soil as is. The plan was to grow herbs at the store and it kinda worked but it is hot as hades out behind the store and we're not the sweat and nurture types.

So...I have a pass through window from the kitchen to the covered porch on the house. I do like to cook and since we're trying no sodium I do want fresh herbs. Question? Would the "bonnie" herbs grow on the hot humid porch resting on the counter top? Should I get a little box thing with soil and dump them in there or keep them in their own little pot thing?

Don't you love conversing with sophisticates? LOL DDD

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Most herbs do well in full sun and some humidity is fine as long as you are mindful that the foliage is perky. If you transplant them, they will have the opportunity to grow larger...however, I don't know how big those Bonnie pots are. The advantage of them being in pots is that you can move them...so if they aren't getting enough sun, put them somewhere they will and likewise, if they are getting too much sun, you can move them to a shadier spot for part of the day. Make sure their soil is moist but not sopping. Snip them often enough to encourage bushier plants and continued growth. A but of fertilizer monthly is good also. Don't over do fertilizer as it may burn delicate plants.

susiestar

Roll With It
Most herbs are incredibly easy to grow. You actually have to be very careful if you plant them in a garden because many of them will take over the entire thing. Same goes if you put them in a pot with other herbs. If the pots are small, say under 6" in diameter, you are not going to get enough fresh herbs to really cook with more than one tme every few weeks or longer. While fresh herbs are great, the rule of thumb for comparing fresh to dried is that you need 3 teaspoons of fresh for every 1 teaspoon of dried herb. Of course this is finely chopped fresh herbs so that it goes into the spoon. It takes a LOT of fresh herbs to get that much - probably more than you think. One way to get more out of your fresh herbs if you are cooking wth them is to put them in a mortar and use a pestle to grind them with a bit of sugar, salt or another similar ingredient. this releases more of the oils and you get more flavor and fragrance. Also add them close to the end of cooking rather that at the beginning unless the recipe calls for something else. You can cook all hte flavor right out if you cook the fresh herbs for long.

I think the 'Bonnie" you are talking about is a brand name, like Kraft or any other brand. It doesn't really mean anything when it comes to the herbs themselves. Those are more about what kind of herb you have, at least as for how to take care of them. Herbs actually do better with a bit of neglect. Sounds odd, but they are far more flavorful if they have to work to survive. So over watering and over fertilizing will be your enemy.

Put the herbs in individual pots or containers. If you are going to grow them indoors away from a window, invest in one of those full spectrum daylight bulbs in a lamp near them. You can get the expensive lights or you can get a replacement bulb that works in any standard light bulb socket - last time I got one it was about $7, but they last for a LONG time. Don't leave this on all the time - plants need night time as much as daytime.

I would use a fertilizer spike and just put one in each pot bc it is just so much easier. Water them, move them to windows to get sunlight if possible, and hopefully you will have some nice herbs before too long.

Oh, mint will jump to another pot if you let it. So will some of the other herbs. I don't know the why/how, I just know I had several herb pots near each other and suddenly I had oregano, mint, mint, and mint. Before I had oregano, mint, basil and chives. they were about 2 inches apart and somehow the mint just wandered over, moved in and tossed the basil and chives out. I have heard other people talk about this too.

TerryJ2

Sunlight and water are important. Does your porch have sunlight?

I've used the biodegradable pots and they're not very degradable. The herbs don't really spread much unless you totally lift them out.

Dill tends to wither.

Mint will spread all over the planet.

That's my 2 cents worth. :)

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Mint does spread like mad. I know because mother in law planted a teeny patch in her backyard.........and next thing she knew it was an enormous patch that even took over the side of house. She didn't mind, they used it in their tea all summer/fall.

I'm going to grow herbs/spices this year. Ok, well, I'm giving it a shot for the first time. I'm using pots because I'm hoping during the colder months to just bring them inside. (where I'll put them I'm not sure lol ) I'm going to cook with fresh, but I'm going to dry them too.

I picked up some today and my strawberry plants. I need to hunt down a blueberry plant or 3. I've not done fruit either. We had a peach tree in our yard growing up, but Mom never did anything with it. It produced fruit in abundance and we ate it as fast as we could. lol You have no clue how tempted I am to plant one in the backyard. Peaches, strawberries, and blueberries are my favs......if I could get all 3 for free I'd be in heaven. :)

Star*

call 911........call 911
DDD

Get the little box thing, get a bag of MIRACLE grow soil - and some Petemoss - and Pearlite - and mix all three in a bucket - and put in the little box thing - then buy whatever herbs you want - and plant in the little box thing. Every three weeks or so - Water with RAIN water - NOT tap water - Tap water has too much Chlorine for herbs.....If you do want to use Tap water - I recommend putting it in a jug and letting it sit with the cap loose for about a week. If you use rain water? You'll have better plants but add a scoop of Miracle grow fertilizer - because indoor plants need a boost every now and then - every three weeks should do it.

Depending on what herbs you want to grow ? SOME will need to be spritzed or misted - (cheap water bottle) every now and then - and if you have a humid porch? Sun light? You'll have awesome herbs with the soil mixture I have given you - AT THE BOTTOM of your little box thing? Either put broken pottery shards, or gravel OR coffee filters to line it. NOT newspaper. It's not porous enough an it tends to rot and draw bugs. For outside - yes inside NO. YOu will want to make sure it drains well and possibly has a pan under it - a cookie sheet is fine. You can grow parsley, lemon balm, cilantro, rosemary, thyme - all of that in one big pot. Or you can get a little green house type thing and grow in separate pots. Doesn't matter - herbs don't pick up on different tastes if grown together. If they get willowly? Pinch them back - and they will get bushy - If they get too yellow? Cut back on watering or move to a sunnier location - THEY DON"T like to be moved too much. That is a plant secret - the less you move them - the better they like it,.

Hope this helps - And the worst that you can do is kill them and start over - you'll already have good soil. - the best that you can do is grow in abundance and enjoy.

DDD

I'm going to do it this week. I went to Home Depot Garden and there was a little video thingy where the guy shows how to use the Bonnie herbs. That combined with the guidance you all have given...why not. I need some excitement in my life, lol. DDD Thanks

Star*

call 911........call 911
If you want NEGATIVE ATTENTION AND EXCITEMENT? The Bonnie Herbs are NOT the ones that you would grow. (Or so I've seen on the History Channel)

I know, I know that was just in poor taste. - TO THE CORNER STAR................just bad. (apologizes as she puts nose in corner)

SuZir

I usually grow my 'kitchen herbs' in the basket(s). Just buy a nice basket that has plastic covering inside of it. Put some cactus soil (or small stones or some kind of plastic pearls) on the bottom to keep it light and provide drainage, put few inches of soil (and maybe little bit of fertilizer) above that and then dump the pots there. If the herb has very little soil (as is the case if the pot is small), you have to water it often, when it's hot. And herbs really don't like it, if you forget to give them water. With a little bit more soil, you don't have to water them that often and they are much more forgiving. Basket is also easy to carry around. I often take mine to kitchen with me while cooking and after that take it back to porch.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am clearing out my stone fire pit and digging up some good composted soil from my yard to fill it in this weekend. You've inspired me to plant my herbs in it instead! We only light a fire a couple of times a year and it is the perfect size, surrounded by stone pavers, and it's right next the patio, perfect sunny spot for my herbs! Yaya, I'm so excited!