he's been

TerryJ2

Oh, dear. I am so sorry.

Lots of people here have experience with-that. (But I don't.)

Many, many hugs.

klmno

Does anyone know if police will consider this worthy of transport to er and given the way difficult child's been lately, will the psychiatric hospital consider him acute?

Jena

I do not have personal experience with this, but my own personal opinion is yes I do infact think they would consider that acute. As i'm sure you know it becomes quite the habit, certain endorphins are released and once it begins its' so hard to, it's very addicting.

How'd you notice this, was it today you noticed it?? I'm sorry you are having way too rough of a time of this at this point.

((((((hugs))))))

smallworld

Do you have a Crisis Intervention Center in your area? If so, you might want to call to ask their advice. I personally believe cutting is worthy of admittance to psychiatric hospital (self-harm).

klmno

The crisis intervention is the county mental health- I called them last spring when I nwas trying to difficult child transport for difficult child to psychiatric hospital. They told me I had to call 911 and police would not take him to er unless difficult child had weapon in hand or was saying he was about to hurt self or others. Well, I wonder if already hurting self qualifies for anything? Somehow, I doubt it- there are so many kids cutting these days- around here anyway. But, when difficult child was in psychiatric hospital, there were some cutters there.

This boy difficult child had called and been with this evening- he's the one that difficult child had reported to the school a month or so ago for cutting himself. Apparentl;y if the school did anything, the interventions weren't enough.

One other thought- this lady coordinator today did mention one other way that they consider residential placement- repetitive suicide attempts. Although difficult child has never gone to the extent of what most would say is an "attempt"- I wonder if severe depression and self-destructive behavior shouldn't open somebody's eyes? I even have it documented by the evaluation'ing psychiatrist from last year.

Jena

i think you posted about that, i think i remember you saying that. great, just what you needed at this point.

Seriously i would consider calling, he already cut and hurt himself and you can say quite simply i'm afraid he's giong to do it again and i have no control over this situation.

klmno

Yeah, I find it interesting that he shut down and has barely gone to school- he goes for 1/2 day today and comes home and does this- after the school KNOWS that my difficult child reported this stuff going on and that difficult child and other kids knew about the one doing it because he was showing the kids the cut marks and scars AT SCHOOL. difficult child had also reported a major drug deal at school last spring (around the time of his emotional shut down and stay at psychiatric hospital) and that boy ended up involved in that drug deal too- I think he was the one that was going to buy a backpack full. And, I had told them last IEP that I want my difficult child kept away from that kid.

Seriously, someone in this freaking community ought to be helping out here.

Andy

I think cutting is super serious. It is not done lightly and is very difficult to stop. I would think it would warrant an admission.

You can always call the facility he was at and ask to talk to the head nurse. That person can help you determine the seriousness of this.

I am sorry you are facing this. This has to be so difficult for both of you.

Jena

i agree, and i do remember that one also. it's total bs, yet as you and i both know it's so so difficult to control our difficult child's when they decide they want to do something.

smallworld

Will difficult child's psychiatrist call you back tonight if it's an emergency? How about therapist? They could give you advice about psychiatric hospital admission. They might also be able to call ahead to start the ball rolling.

klmno

psychiatrist won't; therapist might but I don't know if he would call himself after hours- they have a therapist on call. We have appts with both Mon afternoon. I'll wait til tomorrow- if anything else happens, I'll call therapist's on call person tomorrow. If I call cops, unless they determine it is acute (and their definition is more severe than the psychiatric hospital's) it is an automatic violation of probation for difficult child. They won't take him in, but we'd hear about it next mo from PO, then she'd schedule a hearing with judge so by the time they get around to addressing it, 2-3 mos have gone by.

He said he's been very depressed and that everyone he knows is depressed. Unfortunately, he's never been one to admit any urges to hurt himself. Even when his actions have proven otherwise. I might call the psychiatric hospital after he goes upstairs and asked what they think about this.

smallworld

This could be a reaction to trialing the AD (even though I know you stopped it). My son became dysregulated like this after trialing many ADs. Your difficult child's medications sound off. When you get a chance, definitely give the psychiatric hospital a call tonight.

klmno

Thanks, Smallworld & everyone!! I really don't think his medications have ever been right to tell you the truth. Since this started 3 years ago, he's depressed in the fall and erratic for some period in late winter/early spring and fairly stable between (every year- and these are the same periods where athma used to be an issue and now allergies are still an issue).

That hasn't changed since medications were started- if anything, it's gotten worse. It appears that medications are doing the trick when difficult child is stable, but those periods have always been the times when difficult child probably would be stable with or without them. The only thing I can say is that after prozac was stopped, difficult child was becoming more "domineering" and agressive until lithium was started. Now, he's only that way when he's not so stable.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It is such a hard call, because some psychiatrists think cutting is just for a release and not *so* serious... cutting is so common. Not a serious call for help.
But I have read of some pretty serious accidents that have occurred when someone cuts to deep. Or when someone is to *high* on the endorphins and looses it, again cuts to deep.
I think I PM'd you awhile back about this. I have some *experience* with this.
Whatever the reason, however deep they are cutting, they are asking for help.
Even if someone thinks it is just a kid copying someone else. How could it hurt to take you seriously? Especially with his history.
It seems like the poor kid and you are screaming for help.
Why does it take a fully slit wrist to maybe be taken seriously?
I think the Research Trial at this point would be a blessing.

everywoman

I think a call to the pysch hospital would be a good move. They could give you professional advice on what to do. Obviously this young man is calling out for help. It is so frustrating when everywhere you turn is a blocked door. A big hug and the courage to make the call is coming your way.

klmno

Thanks, Totoro & EW! I'll go back and read that PM again. As far as the research trial, I will need to be honest with them but they have very specific criteria and I'm not sure if this will throw him out of eligibity. (They look at things like has the kid been manic within a certain period of time, I don't think they want them if they've been stable for a long period of time and are stable now with no mood cycling at all, stuff like that)

Jena

I hope he does meet the criteria. Yet that's the nature of the best, bipolar its like the human roller coaster ride as far as i can see it. I've gone through periods of seeing difficult child stable for up to 4 - 6 mos. not medicated, no anxiety functioning on very high level than the crash comes suddenly and with-o any trigger visisble to me at least.

You just won't know until that phone interview, yet he's cycling now it seems. He's in a depressed state, and he could be mixed as well, or like smallworld said this could also be mixed with a medication issue.

Yet i agree with everyone else in regards to contacting the dr. and ask his take on it. You don't want to wait too long now if he's cutting.

How's he feeling and doing tonight?

(((hugs)))