Highbrow Proverbs

This is a game I used to play as a kid. You take a common phrase (it doesn't actually have to be a proverb) and make the language as convoluted and obscure as you possibly can, then everyone tries to guess the phrase.

For example:

"Performing the act of repairing a rend, by rejoining woven material by securing it with a reinforcing filament, in a timely manner relative to the first appearance of discontinuity, negates the future expenditure of effort to the extent of thrice three times the exertion required in the original instance." = "A stitch in time saves nine."

Consulting references, such as the dictionary or thesaurus, either in composing or deciphering is against the rules.

Anybody want to play? Here's one:
"Engaging in discussions pertaining to matters avian and apiarian in nature."

Ha!

I have to go look up apairian.

But I'll be back. :smile:

Barbara

P.S. It feels a little less like cheating if you tell the person you are going to.

P.S.S. Wait a minute....

I think I just got it. I know what avian means so....

Okay.

Let me think of an appropriate reply without looking apairian up.

Yet.

goldenguru

Anybody want to play? Here's one:
"Engaging in discussions pertaining to matters avian and apiarian in nature."

Talking about the birds and the bees.

goldenguru

Oh, GG, you're smarter than me.

LOL. Hardly. I just knew that an aviary was for birds and my grandpa raised bees so I knew that root word too. Beginners luck ya know.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - lets talk that one out - I got the birds and the apians (amateur bug person)

The hibernation and weariness that I was eagerly chasing was not unlike that which puts in a difficult position a house

Hibernation and weariness - sleep

The sleep I dreamed about was like a ....no no no

I'm a tired animal wanting sleep and dreamed I was a house?

I can't sleep in my house because ....nope

ME and my house we're tired

This old house? hahah (digging deep here)

My house is too crazy for dreams?

I live on the island of misfit toys and haven't any dreams left.

The vampire and his house are one?

I HAVE NO IDEA - good one.

F

flutterbee

Oooohhh!! I know! I know!

But, I'll let someone else get it cause I can't think of a proverb.

Marguerite

From little things, big things grow...

Stagnant aquatic features extend vastly below.

I remember as a kid, someone translated Alfred Noyes "The Highwayman" into verbosity. it made the metaphors really weird.

Marg

Still waters run deep.

:smile:

Precipitory moisture, precipitory moisture, journey toward the farthest horizon, re-entering the current space-time dimension at some as yet to be determined destinational point.

Barbara

meowbunny

Rain, rain, go away. Come again another day. Exactly how I feel today. It's raining and I want to go shopping and I wanted to take my bike.

One pyrenus malus per diem restrains the arrival of the Hippocratic apostle.

(easy but I love the wording)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: meowbunny</div><div class="ubbcode-body">One pyrenus malus per diem restrains the arrival of the Hippocratic apostle. </div></div>
"An apple a day keeps the doctor away."

- At one time there existed a particular diurnal period during which the orb about which this planet orbits was not visible, which immediately preceded the winter holiday which is held to be the anniversary of the birth of the man who Christians worship.