How is this Good News?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well. it is time for the mid-marking period reports from school. difficult child's report contained two Fs for the quarter so far AND a warning letter from the Guidance Office that she is in danger of failing 9th grade.

difficult child is thrilled!

Since she is only failing buy a few points...she is confident that the interim report means she will pass. Yay!!!

???????????

If you're confused--well, me too.

At this point, I'm actually hoping she fails. Maybe then a bit of reality will sink in.

Worse case scenario? She does no more homework/classwork and then does well enough on exams to squeak through by a point or two. If that happens, there will be no convincing her that any effort is required from here on out.

Best case scenario? She either works really hard and passes by earning better grades from now until the end of the year.....or she fails the grade and learns that she must put in an effort to do well in high school. I guess I'd be pretty happy with either of those.

JJJ

I'd keep in touch with her teachers during the last couple weeks of the school year. Let them know you are quite content for them not to round up her grades to get her to pass. When I taught high school, the thought was always if the kid was close, round up so as not to force a child to repeat a class because of less than 1% of the points. However, if I had a parent that wanted the child to have to repeat, no rounding and the child did the class again.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I'd keep in touch with her teachers during the last couple weeks of the school year. Let them know you are quite content for them not to round up her grades to get her to pass. When I taught high school, the thought was always if the kid was close, round up so as not to force a child to repeat a class because of less than 1% of the points. However, if I had a parent that wanted the child to have to repeat, no rounding and the child did the class again.

That's a good idea... Thanks!

L

LostMama

I understand your frustration. In one school day, my difficult child did the work that brought her 48% F from last term up to a C via the ridiculous grade recovery program AND she completed her current report project that was due. I mean, I'm proud of her for doing what she did...but I think it should have been harder.

klmno

Sounds to me like she was expecting to be failing worse and was happy to see that it might be possible to get the grade up enough to pass- if I read this correctly.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
In too many cases the standards are lowered for your difficult children. The course work is given through out the school year ~ it's not done by our little wonders. Then some teacher comes up with a very simple project (while our difficult children are freaking). difficult children finish that project & voila difficult child has passed & is moving on.

The lesson learned here is that someone will always rescue a difficult child. Find a way for her to slide by ~ I see it here with the tweedles & honestly I've stopped fighting SD. The tweedles are pushed forward each year simply because they have an IEP. Neither have earned it nor are learning what should be learned ~ god forbid that their programs are shut down & they are forced into mainstream. All heck would break loose.

Sorry, DF, got off on a tangent. I understand your frustration - JJJ has a good idea.