How old are you?

Andy

Today I was helping a kindergarten boy put his shoes back on after dumping the playground pebbles out of them. As with most shoes, these had laces a mile long requiring a double knot (and easily a triple if I wanted to go that far).

A kindergarten girl was sitting next to him. I stated, "When I grow up, I am going to invent shoe laces that are not so long." The girl looked at me a little quizzical and asked, "How old are you?"

I replied, "47, do you think I am old enough to invent them?" She looked at me and slightly bobbed her head "yeah".

I am a kindergarten teacher and that is why I love that age. You never know what they are going to say or how they will say it. I always tell them I am 29 and they believe me!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I love that age! They're so....innocent!

Despite all of wee difficult child's problems at school, when he struggles and succeeds and pulls himself together in the room, there will undoubtedly be 10 or 12 little classmates who will tell him "great job, difficult child!" or "see, you did it!". They amaze me.

Gotta love it.

K

Kjs

That's cute.

Saturday was my birthday. A neighbor lady came over with cookies and said, happy birthday.....56? I quietly said thank you, ....47.

Andy

KJS - How cool is that? My birthday was also Saturday! difficult child was the only one who asked my age. When anyone else asks, I usually reply, "Still 3 minutes older than A (my twin sister)."

(I also turned 47 so we really are triplets)

M

ML

How cute. I say that all the time "when I grow up_______". Age is a state of mind (coming from another 47er).

Hugs,

ML

Star*

call 911........call 911
When Dude was in third grade - he told the teachers I was 21. Which means I could have given birth at 14. Every time I showed up at the school I got the sneers and whispers behind hands from other teachers. NEVER figured it out.

One day Dudes teacher said to me "It's understandable that we have so many problems with our Mr. Dude here. Young inexperienced Mothers often have these problems." Then she did the babies having babies line.

I was 33 - but at my last birthday someone yelled 21 again - and it apparently stuck in his mind that I was 21. I was 33 - but if THEY thought I was 21- WHO was I to argue that? :tongue:

I'm glad you are going to invent shorter shoe laces - if I were a kindergarten teacher I think velcro shoes would be a requirement.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Shorter shoelaces? I need longer ones! My feet aren't much bigger than difficult child 2's and his laces are miles too long. Mine are too short. I swapped them... Same problem. They're the same length... Mine are just laced and tied properly!

I got a good one last football season when one of the boys difficult child 2 how old his mom was. difficult child 2 looked at me and said, "Which one? The mom I live with or the mom I visit?" (The other kid had met biomom, who isn't real popular with the team & coaches... for some reason...). The kid told him me (live with). difficult child 2 looks at him and says, "C-Mom (me) is older than M-Mom but she looks younger 'cause she's a nicer person." It's a good thing I could turn away... Several of the other parents lost it laughing too.

So now it's a joke among the parents that husband left her for a "younger" woman...

Abbey

Spork Queen
I think I'd go back to 35, but that would be OLD to a kinder person.

Unfortunately, I still act like I'm 16.

Abbey

DDD

I have a K granddaughter and I had forgotten how cute and honest they are. What a shame it disappears....lol.

Yesterday I had lunch with a lady I don't know well. During the conversation she asked me how old I was and then kept saying "Oh, no. You can't be that old. You don't look a day over 60." :redface: Geez, on a "good day" I like to think I look closer to 50! :whiteflag: DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL That's cute. I love 5 yr olds.

easy child keeps asking me to please teach Darrin to tie his shoes. She can't keep the ditty I told them when they were kids to help break it up into steps in her head long enough to teach it to him.

So I was working with him during one visit. He went home and ask his Mom to show him again how to tie his shoes. easy child started showing him but since she couldn't remember all of the ditty she omitted it. Darrin pulled his foot away and told her she didn't know how to tie shoes right because she didn't know the story of the Bunny and the Tree. LOL *snort*

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
The Bunny and the Tree??? Never heard that one. My parents despaired and bought me Velcro shoes... difficult child 2 constantly walks around with one lace trailing... Only one, the other half of the bow stays tied. Agh!