How quickly things can change....

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Evidently the person they originally wanted for the job I tried for came to the decision that she didn't want to do everything that was involved. So they offered it to me. I was immensely torn. I wanted the job obviously or I wouldn't have applied for it. I was very angry that I didn't get it in the first place.

It kind of hurt thinking that I was second place. But like I was told by one of my sister in laws I shouldn't think like that because the other person didn't understand the job so shouldn't have even been in the mix. Still hurts. But in the end I did say yes. I still don't know if it was the right choice. I have loved every moment with them until the other day for the most part.

So next Monday I start my new position. My first goal is to find a few people to replace me in the other things I did. That is kind of ironic. That it will take more than one person to replace me in those other roles I filled.

Well time to shake off the bad feelings. I mean in the end they figured out the right person for the job. And before I had done anything stupid.

beth

Fran

Former desparate mom
Congratulations on a new position. From the sounds of the job market this is a very good thing.
Don't let sour grapes ruin what you achieved. We all want to be the first choice but truth be told, you have it and no one else does. That's all you have to remember.

Lothlorien

This is with the same company that you work for now? Well, perhaps they felt you were not replaceable in the other jobs, so they offered the job to the other person. If it is going to take more than one person to fill your shoes, then it's going to cost them more money to replace you.

Congratulations.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Happy things worked out for you! Wouldn't feel too badly about second choice....... the important thing is you are FINAL choice...... they may have "wised" up when other person decided they couldn't handle it........ Just go in with renewed attitude......

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Beth--

Congratulations!

And by the way--this little foray showed them just how VALUABLE you actually are! You you are now in the unique position to be a little bit demanding. For example, if you want a certain priviledge, or a certain accomodation....make it NOW, right off the bat while they still feel lucky to have you. Need to leave early on Fridays? Need to have an extended lunch break? Need an extra-cushy chair at your desk?
Ask now....and these priviledges will be yours as long as you hold the job.

You GO GIRL!! (Do people still say that? I don't know....but good for you anyway!)

--DaisyF

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Maybe they figured you'd demand more money because of your skill set! Congratulations on getting the job, even if it felt like it was through the back door. I hope you enjoy it :)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Congrats Beth!! I like what Loth said about them being afraid to lose you in the other areas where they will have to replace you with more than one person!!!

Best of luck to you - you will shine!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Congrats! Remember this could be the door that wasn't unlocked before (even though it is the same job). A few years ago there were 2 positions open at my company, I was more highly educated and very much perfect for the higher-paying, more interesting job, but I got hired for the lower-paying secretarial. Yargh. However within 3 months I was moved into a position equal to the first one. 8 more months and I was one step above that, 6 months after that and I moved into the second-highest-paid position in my area. I am actually looking though because after 6 years of interesting work I'm now bored. I love the seniority and large amounts of vacation since I've been here so long but I need something to keep me occupied! However, I get to do all the fun things in the office because I'm the project girl. Run to other buildings, crawl around setting up computers, fixing issues... Security and otherwise. It's quite fun, just it doesn't last forever. My job in the real world wouldn't pay half what I make either. LOL

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations on getting the job that you wanted.

Second - I don't see you as winner of second place. I went for a torturous interview before and when it came down to it - there was one other girl that in my humble opinion was not as qualified as I was but was "perky" or "perkier" and one man in a panel of 10 decided that her perky personality was better at 5 am than my serious - let me tell you what I know about running a business attitude.

In the end? They picked her. I got a 'gosh it was so close' and perky explaination. After that? The word perky could get you a smack. Then I got a call - two weeks into her new job and 1 week into my new job - that she couldn't do the job, had really faked her way through the interveiw with her little perky attitude, and would I consider coming to work for them?

As much as I wanted to - and would have moved the earth to be there at the time of the job award? I was now 6 states away and in a new job. SO I said no. Then I got my say in that perhaps Mr. "Oh isn't she perky" would be left out of the next round of grueling interviews and make sure to look at a womans qualifications rather than her perky whatevers.....and I meant it. The woman on the phone just gave me an mmmmmmm.

A year later? The boss quit, the business is in turmoil, totally OVER budget, not managed by a professional sr. level office administrator person and loosing clients and I'm not sad at all.

My Dr. Seussical Hat is off to you Beth -I hope they appreciate you.

Hugs