husband got a possible job lead...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
A consulting firm contacted him directly off his posted resume on Monster. They said he is EXACTLY the person they need for a 6-12 month assignment with a particular client. Only problem is that it's about 50 miles away in bad traffic. Minimum 90 minute commute each way by car. Not sure if he could take the train (which would actually take about the same amount of time). Don't know about the money. He told them what his base was, and that he realizes he'd likely have to take a cut. They said they reeaaally want to have him in for an interview, but the commute is a real issue. He has really been enjoying being home to spend more time with the family -- and he as been very involved with the kids and it's had a positive impact on them.

Tough decision... he has huge reservations.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Commuting aside, sounds like a great opportunity. Would it be worth the drive/travel? Or is there any way he could do some of it from home and only have to commute part of the time?

witzend

Tell him that if they really want him, that is a bargaining chip to raise his base. He'll need more $ for gas and wear and tear on his car and it's a legitimate issue. If they have "a client" that needs him, that means that they are getting plenty from the client to do the work. He should get his fair share if he is what they need.

Never ever go into a job interview with a weakness ("the drive is too long".) Go into it with a strength (I don't mind the drive for the right amount of $".)

Star*

call 911........call 911
mmmmmmmmmm I think Witz Is going to write MY cover letter. What a wize woman.

How about him STAY in town at their expense?

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yep, I want Witz to come with me at my next job interview. :bravo:

The thing is...and the practical part of me says........theoretically, it's easier to get a job when you're employed. If this is a decent opportunity, there's no reason why your husband can't continue his job search while he's employed with this place...

Hugs,
Suz

Last edited:

witzend

I have read that most people actually ask for less salary than a company is willing to offer, and don't get as much as they could. They probably are aware of the salary that you want or are getting or have gotten in the past anyway, that's their job in HR. It should be like bargaining for jewelry in Mexico. If you know that they want you, go in with more than you want, and take as much as they will give you.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks everyone -- yes, Witz, as always you have spot-on advice! He tells me he told them what his base plus bonuses was. I didn't hear the phone interview, but wouldn't be surprised if he positioned things the wrong way. :hammer:

I think part of the reservation he has (besides the commute) is signing up for something that he knows is short-term and having to go through the process AGAIN. He doesn't like this. But who does? I'm trying to just be a good listener and not tell him what to do... like: stop whining and pull your big-boy underpants on and your boots and get back on that horse, cowboy!

From what he's learned today, it sounds like the position is a level up from what he was doing before, and could potentially turn into a permanent spot. He would be essentially serving in a consulting capacity more than as a worker-bee contractor. Who knows. And apparently it was a head-hunting firm that initiated the contact. They could just be hyping the heck out of the position to get him to bite. Then they have to sell him to the client and hope it works out.

We've found that some of these employment agencies don't always understand the positions they are trying to fill. husband has had several offers come his way that were completely unsuitable for his abilities -- makes you wonder if they bothered to read his resume at all.

We'll see what happens. I'd love to see him employed before the end of the year, but admit that it's been nice having him home all these months. :)

Lothlorien

You have to pump him up and make him realize that a short-term assignment is still a good thing, especially in this economy. Perhaps, by the time the assignment is over, there will be a lot more jobs available....not to mention that he is still networking. If he takes this job, it could turn into two more job offers in a year from now.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Loth, you are so right, and believe me, I've tried. When his anxiety gets amped like this, I'm better off just being a good reflective listener and not try to offer advice. Otherwise he ends up accusing me of pressuring him and shuts down.