I briefly mentioned in the GM

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by timer lady, Aug 10, 2007.

1. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

thread yesterday morning that we had a late, messy & quite tense plumbing emergency late last. The plumber show up around midnight or so. In the midst of all the spraying water, anger & confusion to friggin' figure out where the shut off valve to the house was I noted that kt was just helping along. No complaints, drama or whining - just asking husband or myself what needed to be done next.

At one point during this crisis, kt took me by the hand & had me sit down to rest "you're shaking, mama".

So while we had this very expensive adventure in our home last night I saw a couple of positives that I'm determined to keep in my mind.

The most important being watching my very Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) child step up in a family situation, take ownership & help. :bravo:

2. Stella Johnson

Stella Johnson Active Member

Really happy news to hear that KT did so well in the middle of a very tense, expensive household emergency. :bravo: Give her a big hug from all her board aunties. :kisses:

steph

3. tiredmommy

tiredmommy Site Moderator

That's incredible! I'm glad she stepped up! :bravo:

4. Marguerite

Marguerite Active Member

That's really good. Every time a positive thing like this happens, it's another step towards maturity.

Marg

5. Penta

Penta New Member

Sometimes our kids surprise us when they can step outside themselves and become part of something bigger...this time, for you,handling a family crisis.

Small signs of maturity lead to more growth down the line.

Congratulations to kt!

6. Sheila

Sheila Moderator

Wow!

Very impressive kt!

7. busywend

busywend Well-Known Member Staff Member

Linda, seriously this brought tears of joy to my eyes. Maybe it is an extra emotional day for me (hormones or something) but, this is sooooo big! I am not even sure my difficult child would have helped or cared about me in that scenario. In fact I believe she would have chuckled and gone back to her room.

I am happy for you to have that moment. Makes the plumbing bill worthwhile in my eyes!

:sad: :smile:

8. lynnp

lynnp New Member

It feels SOOOOO good when they show these glimmers of hope. They are maybe HUMANS afterall! (No offense intended :))

9. slsh

slsh member since 1999

Plumbing disasters as therapy??? Hmmmm..... nahhh. Think I'll skip that strategy :rofl: :rofl:

Glad kt was able to step up - huge, really. She was able to step out of her own wants/needs. Tremendous, Linda. Your girl is really making some impressive strides, you know?

10. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

Sue - you let me down. I thought you were one of those moms who'd do whatever it takes! What a slacker! :smile:

It was a pleasant reaction to watch out of my little ktbug - wish it hadn't been so darned traumatizing :crazy2: (and expensive) to me.

It's amazing the amount you'll pay for a toilet at 2 in the morning. :surprise:

11. Fran

Fran Former Site Owner

Good for kt.
    I think it's really important for us to appreciate every small step in the right direction. It gives us hope and they get a sense of not always doing it wrong.

12. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

Linda,
    This was such a great post to read (not about the expensive pipe part). Your heart must be very happy about kt's response :princess:

13. On_Call

On_Call New Member

Linda,

I just saw this post (have been away), but wanted to add that this was HUGE!! Good for kt! :bravo:

I agree - some things you will pay no matter what the charge is -and I have to believe that toilet repair is one of those things.

Glad kt showed her best during this not-so-great moment in time! :laugh: