I went to high school with Merrick Garland

BusynMember

It blows my mind that this boy (now man, of course) who was one year ahead of me in school and whom I saw all the time is going to be on the Supreme Court. I remember his brilliance, but he was nice and well liked too. I used to think, "Who names his kid Merrick?"

The father and mother of a future Supreme Court Justice, I guess!!

I can't explain how cool I think this is!!!

Well, just a little excited rant, FYI!!!! (if anyone cares)

Copabanana

I love that he started to cry in front of the whole world when he talked about his wife and how he could not believe his luck at having her in his life.

I forget his exact words but this was the gist of it. He choked up. Good for him.

COPA

Lil

Wow! The most famous person I went to school with is a monster truck driver! :p

Now if the darn Senate will only DO THEIR JOBS! (...and that's as political as I'm going to get).

Nomad

Staff member
Very cool. I see someone beat me to it. Seems like a great selection, but I'm not sure it is going to happen. Politics etc.

Jeff Bezos from Amazon went to one of my schools.

Lil

I thought that was pretty funny when I saw him inducted on Facebook...Who knew they had an international hall of fame for that? LOL

In all seriousness SWOT, that's very cool. I don't even have any law school classmates that are in such positions. :) From what I hear, if anyone other than the current president nominated him, he would be a shoo-in - an excellent reputation.

Last edited:

BusynMember

I dont watch the news anymore. Used to be a newsie (is that like a foodie?) Until I realized that the more I know sbout the world that I have no control over, the more frustrated, sad and depressed I got. I dont feel surprised that the nomination may be blocked because the gop has said theyd never pass anything obama wants to pass. One reason I gave up on things I dont need to know.

When my daughter said she liked bernie sanders I was truly shocked and said, 'hes running?"

I would not have known about garland if somebobody hadnt texted me...lol. I have found that for me and my anxiety disorder, ignorance is bliss so if I cant do anything about it, I dont want to know sbout it ;). I avoid news like the plague I think it is and fortunately my husband isnt a big news fan either unless it has to do with the military. Hes a ten year vet and never votes. "Theyre all equally corrupt."

My activist days and caring days are gone. I am happily shallow now. I will vote straight one party as ive done lately. I wont learn details though or even watch the results, which used to excite me so much.

Last edited:

Lil

I dont watch the news anymore. Used to be a newsie (is that like a foodie?) Until I realized that the more I know sbout the world that I have no control over, the more frustrated, sad and depressed I got. I dont feel surprised that the nomination may be blocked because the gop has said theyd never pass anything obama wants to pass. One reason I gave up on things I dont need to know.

I watch the news when I'm getting ready for work in the morning. Otherwise, I get what I might run across on Yahoo or links friends post on Facebook. Jabber doesn't watch the news...he says if it wants to be depressed, he'll work overtime. lol

Being a foodie is WAY more pleasant and satisfying!
:spaghetti::sushi:

BusynMember

Oh lil I so agree with your hubby. It would be different if there was one thing I could do to make the doom and gloom better, but none of us can. Too bad they never show GOOD news, but they dont. Im with jabber.

New Leaf

I dont watch the news anymore. Used to be a newsie (is that like a foodie?) Until I realized that the more I know sbout the world that I have no control over, the more frustrated, sad and depressed I got.
Me too, SWOT, me too.
I have enough drama in my life without adding the worlds problems to the mix!
leafy

BusynMember

Im glad im not the only one. thank you, leafie and lil. Guess im one of those self centered Americans who only cares about my own front door. I so used to scorn those who knew nothing of the rest of the world and (gasp) didnt even vote. Ah, how we change with time.

Nomad

Staff member
Usually I might be saddened by someone saying they are not staying informed of the news, especially politics. But this year, perhaps it is for the best.

BusynMember

I am horrified by who some of our high profile politicians become and we are the worlds joke...but it is not my problem. Dont be sad that many now realize the futulity of knowing or caring.
We didnt cause it (most of us), we cant cure it and we cant control it. Just like substance abuse. So in my opinion its best not to see ugliness we cant do anything about and its best to go on and still live good lives. We CAN control that :)

witzend

Well I still scorn anyone who doesn't vote. Because there will be a bunch of idiots who lined up for extra helpings of BS who will. You don't like what the current crop in the House & Senate are doing for us? Blame the 62% who couldn't be bothered to vote. If that's you, step up for your serving of scorn.

BusynMember

I vote. I always vote. But the elected get worse and worse. I shudder at one party in particular and I'm sorry that party is trying hard, and succeeding, in making it difficult for the less well off people to vote. I scorn THEM most of all.