i'm apprehensive about cse mtg

Jena

hi

so i have to admit i'm slightly apprehensive about the upcoming cse meeting. i've gotten my feet wet a little at work with this, yet not nearly enough and also due to the fact that i have no clue what to expect.

so today difficult child had a friend over which was great, first one ever!! her friends mom is a parent member of the board so i picked her brain alot today.

Winds up that it all more or less rests on the test results i will given on monday, the testing the school did. There are certain percentages to everything and apparentley since they didn't except my private testing theyll be basing her eligibility for services based on that testing.

now granted with all thedocumentation i have this should be a slam dunk, yet due to the school being reluctant to provide difficult child with services it may be a battle.

to boot, the woman who is chairing the meeting is a friend of boyfriend's ex wife. a friend outside of school. the friend i had over today said that this should have no baring on the way the meeting is handled yet its a small town and she has seen it happen.

i basically have to prove that difficult child needs services to help her reach her academic potential. she said i have to stay focused on academics and not on the emotional element of it (that being socialization).

we'll see how it goes.

daralex

Clinging onto my sanity
We've been to a gazillion of these! Sometimes it works out great, other times not so much. They will base their decision on test results and grades - good for you for doing private testing. The more knowledge you have the better off you are. Usually when they see you know what your talking about they tend to back off just a little more. All I can say is don't give up and keep fighting for what you want for difficult child. And don't forget - if worse comes to worse you can always look into getting a child advocate - usually even if the board hears that is the route you are going to take it makes them very nervous. I would go in with all the hope in the world and a warrior mother stance. You can always appeal whatever decsion they make so don't feel as though this is the mother of all meetings. I wish you all the luck in the world and fully understand the nervousness. For as many times as we went through the CSE meetings I was nervous every time. GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!!!

-Dara