I'm thinking of taking a break from school~

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Classes are almost over. I did my presentation on Tourette's Syndrome and handed in my paper - I'm sure I will get an A on both - and all that's left is the final exam, which will cover 3 chapters of the book the professor hasn't covered in class (fun). I'm a little nervous about that, but honestly, I feel like I don't even care at all anymore.

I''m beginning to question what the point is of me moving at a turtle's pace to get a degree in a field I have absolutely NO experience in except personal. I mean, what is the point? By the time I graduate, I'll be ready to retire and besides, who will hire me anyway?

And, while I do enjoy the learning, sometimes the homework and studying feels a bit overwhelming for me. I cannot express how THRILLED I am that I will be able to read a book JUST FOR THE PURE ENJOYMENT of it this Summer!!! I have a small stack on my dresser that I feel I may plow through because I can, without worrying about getting homework done or preparing for a test instead. I'm so glad I didn't take a summer class as planned.

I've registered for two fall classes and I am already feeling anxious about it. Which is why I think I'm second guessing it. I LOVE the learning part and I find it all so interesting!

Maybe I'm just feeling overwhelmed right now, between my knee, back and end of school year, beginning of marketing time at work, my mom. Seems like school is just One.More.Thing. What would you do?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I think it's the whole "overwhelmed" thing myself. I know I had more than a few thoughts along those lines while in school.

Now that the memory deal has become such an issue......I'm struggling with the whole did I just waste both my time and money thing. I know I didn't......but that thought likes to creep in there. Ya know?

If you enjoy learning what's the harm? Gives you something to do for you whether you wind up using it in the end or not. I think finding something that is just for us is important when raising difficult children. Keeps us sane for one thing. lol

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
If you enjoy learning what's the harm? Gives you something to do for you whether you wind up using it in the end or not. I think finding something that is just for us is important when raising difficult children. Keeps us sane for one thing. lol

This is the thought that keeps me going back time and time again. If I wasn't in school, I fear that I would become depressed from sheer boredome, truly. H comes home from work and he's exhausted so there's not much going on during the week. And his outlet is biking, which he can do for about 6-7 months of the year. The thing is, on the weekends we are limited because of my school work, but not terribly. I do enjoy it on the whole and I try to remind myself that it's about doing something for me that I enjoy - no matter if I ever use it or not. It may be something I use in a volunteer capacity at some point, rather than monetary. I guess I just need a push (or two or three) to keep me vested in how important it is to my sanity - to know I can do it, to excell at it and feel rewarded. Being pysically unable lately has really put me into a tailspin and perhaps, that is the culprit behind my wanting to 'drop' something?

Thanks Lisa.

Josie

I would enjoy the summer off and then see how you feel. You can always drop the classes then.

If you are really doing it just because you like learning and enjoy the subject, but realistically think you won't actually use it, then you have to decide if the benefits of learning outweigh the added stress.

When I was in college as a young adult, I looked forward to the summers with no real demands on my time. When it was actually summer, I quickly got bored and decided to take summer school. You have a lot of other responsibilities so that might not happen, but you might find you miss the schoolwork.

Jena

KEEP GOING your overwhelmed, that's all........... by the time sunday hits you'll feel calmer........... sooo not you you'l have to retire. this is what you wanted, eye on the prize.

enjoy sometime off than get to it!! ok sorry blunt! soo proud of you for what your doing your just overwhelmed sounds like to me...... let me guess pyschology major?? difficult child major i hear..... lol

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
let me guess pyschology major?? difficult child major i hear..... lol

Hahahahaaaaa, how did you ever guess? Well, sort of, Human Services, then Social Work or some sort. Thanks for the encouragement, you too Hope! I will get this last final over, take a deep cleansing breath and gear up for some summer down time (and lots of enjoyable reading - nothing like a few summer reading rags) and see how I feel.

Jena

because it's in our blood thats' why....... i saw this post and laughed. husband just said to me last night out of the blue do you want to go back to school?? i was like what huh..?? and you continue to flip the bills etc. he's like yea there are zero jobs out there!

listen ppl live to 100 these days.... i once read somewhere life is like an easel and we are the artists.... this is your time now. :) not easy yet that old saying anything hard is usually worth it... why oh why did god make us go thru all this?/ i'm telling you pink drinks with umbrellas' in heaven!

First of all...I agree, go get a martini. You just need a break, you've worked SO HARD, and it's done. For now...take off the summer, read, recharge your batteries, and you will be refreshed and ready to go. An education is never wasted. And ...you enjoy it. And even if you graduate at age 60 (!), you would still be 60 either way- with or without the degree. Be proud of all you've acomplished so far, you just need a break.

KTMom91

I firmly believe that knowledge is never wasted, and honestly, I'd be a professional student if it paid well enough! Take the summer, relax and enjoy, and when fall rolls around you'll most likely be ready to hit the books again.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
One class is on line and one on campus, which works well for me. Psychology of Adjustment is on campus and environmental science is on line....so I think the demands of not having to showing up for class will give me some much needed flexibility! Thanks, ladies, for all the encouragement-I hate to whine but I really need this boost!

M

ML

I completely agree you need and deserve a break but I encourage you to not give up. I believe that following your passion is alway the right thing to do. Just take a break, do some extensive self care and then get back up on the proverbial horse. Love you.

DammitJanet

Im actually considering going to school just because you can get paid (pell grant) to go. I doubt I would ever actually use the degree because it would take me a long time to get it but who knows.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Janet, I love the idea! I always encourage people who are thinking of returning to school to DO IT! I just think everyone's right, I'm burnt out. I'm sure the enthusiasm will return come fall.

I think if you can go, you definitely should! There is nothing to lose and everything to gain!