In their infinite wisdom.....

Discussion in 'General Parenting' started by timer lady, May 25, 2011.

1. timer lady

timer lady Queen of Hearts

the SSA has decided that wm is "old enough" at the tender age of 16 almost 17 to manage his survivor benefits. :bloodshot:

Hard to believe isn't it? My wm ~ I expect to get the same letter for kt any day soon now. Remarkable stuff ~ survivor benefits are to help the surviving parent raise his/her child without their spouse. wm's monies go straight to the county for child support for wm in his current placement.

I spent several hours as the SS office yesterday explaining wm's situation & his level of disability. Now mental health CM is taking over. He's applying for disability for the tweedles based on their diagnosis's, continuing problems, & their mental/emotional age.

Enough to give one a headache. :twister2:

2. DaisyFace

DaisyFace Love me...Love me not

So...

let me get this straight:

At any bank in the United States, a person must be 18 to manage their own savings account or open a checking account or make any other kind of financial arrangement.

But SSA feels that somehow this guideline does NOT apply to wm because... ?

Umm...?

They arbitrarily feel he is "old enough" - so now it's OK for him to manage money....even though his same-aged peers do not have this right?

3. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

:hammer: Sure doesn't make sense to me! Grrrrr!

4. KTMom91

KTMom91 Well-Known Member

Unbelievable...