Intake Evaluation

stepmom47

difficult child is going to his intake evaluation tonight at the Behavioral Health Center. (The NP suggested this)
I feel a sense of relief already...

I am hoping that I will get a call later from husband telling me that there is some new path to take with difficult child. :future:

The road has been hard and long and I know that it will take time, but if they can give us a trail to blaze that will make me feel alot better.

I know that I am new to the board but can newbies ask for jingles and prayers?

If so thank you in advance!!!! :smile:

busywend

Just be prepared. It does take time. Usually there are no answers or plans on day one.

But, I will cross everything hoping for a thorough evaluation and a strong team of people to help out!

susiestar

Roll With It
hugs and everything I can cross is crossed.

If nothing pops up to help, maybe we can do a line dance version of the nekkid chicken liver dance to bring forth the help! I will try anything! I remember the helplessness and unhopefulness.

Hugs,

Susie

stepmom47

So husband calls me yesterday afternoon to tell me that difficult child got suspended again. He walked into one of his clasess and punched another boy in the *^%&#%^. This is now twice this week!

Fast foward to last night after the intake appointment.
husband walks in and says: They said difficult child has problems and to get him counseling, he is not eligable for the day treatment program.

Now my reaction: YA THINK!!! This leads to a HUGE 2 hour blow out between me & husband...

Needless to say I feel like a (%#%*...today is our aniversary:(

difficult child has been in counseling for almost a year...the problems are now esculating into violent behavior....

I am now truly afraid for the saftey of my other children.

How does the school handle it...they will continue to do in-school suspension as long as the behavior continues.

How does that help, difficult child is getting what he wants...not having to go to class...duh to the school!

The Behavior Detail Report I got in the mail yesterday is worded as Aggressive Behavior/Intimidation of a Student.

I wanted something/anything from the BHS so I could walk into school today and say....SEE SEE SEE SEE !!!!

My first thought this morning was to drive to school and rip him out of in-school dentition and take him to the ER!! Am I wrong in thinking that???

I need some advice at this point on what to do. I am stumped and sad and scared. :warrior:

:tissue: :hammer:

Yikes! Let me jingle harder...

Any chance he could go into inpatient? Get looked at and possibly a diagnosis? If he is not being treated properly (whether it be with medications or what have you) then he possibly can't control his impulses...

susiestar

Roll With It
CALL his psychiatrist. Tell him your son is a danger and you are afraid for your other children. PUSH him until he agrees to admit your son AND finds a bed for him.

You are not in any way out of line in being afraid for your other kids. IF husband will not agree to admitting your son,then you need to think about possibly removing the other children from the situation.

ER is not a bad idea, but it is best if he is in a full blown rage. If they cannot SEE for themselves that he is a danger to others they will do nothing.

I would (and have) refused to leave with a child I knew would rage as soon as we left.

I also did something many see as manipulative (and it is) but it got the help my child needed. I pushed his buttons so the therapists could SEE what he did while raging. I did this inpatient, with some support from the staff.

I have also done it on the way to the hospital. Mostly I just refused to pet him and calm him and say soothing things. I told him the plain truth. hitting others will not be allowed. If you are dangerous you must leave, I don't care who you are. No bribes or rewards for settling down. Told him the RULES - no violence, go to school and work, comehome and do homework with no rages at me when I ask normal parenting questions.

I NEVER EVER told him they would give him a shot if he didn't behave. I NEVER EVER told him he was BAD, or a bad person. I told him his behavior was unacceptable in any situation. I told him that he needed help and I would do WHATEVER was needed to make sure he got it.

I wholeheartedly think that if you can get him admitted you may be able to help him. NO child really wants to rage, it is a horrible thing to live with the consequences of.

One reason I triggered my son in situations where he might then be able to get help is that I did NOT want him to live with the guilt of having hurt someone badly or killed them. He did NOT deserve this life-long guilt. He deserved HELP.

It was a long road, and it isn't over.

Sending Gentle Hugs and a Shield to keep you all safe from the bad stuff.

Susie