Is there a safe way to keep a cat off your lawn?

DDD

Somewhere in our neighborhood lives a really pretty cat. Personally I can't stand cats but this one is very attractive. Evidently the owners leave it outside during the day and darn if the locale of choice is our front yard but mostly the next door neighbors yard.

Big Ace barks and barks and barks from our fenced backyard. The cat, of course, just lays down and gets comfortable. I hate to have to bring Ace inside but that is the only way the barking stops. Now I'm wondering if there is a method to safely get the cat to move on. I doubt it, lol, but hoping. DDD

DDD

Yikes. Just did a scan read and the product that has been used since the 1800's repels cats and dogs! LOL Can't do that for sure, Malika. I've said it before but you amaze me with your quick computer skills. Thanks. I will actually read it when I have time at home. DDD

klmno

Can you take Ace to the front yard on a leash when the cat comes over and maybe that would scare the cat awaY? If not, the only things I can think of are a call to the owner, then a call to animal control. Don't leash laws apply to cats, too?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
klmno... In our area, cats aren't considered dangerous ...:rofl:..., so leash laws don't apply.

BUT, roaming cats, even WITH collars and tags, are fair game for animal control.

I really like the idea of taking Ace out front on a leash. The cat may like dogs... Sigh.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This is a great question, as my neighbor has five cats and they all use my gardens as their personal litter box and hang around in perfect view - making all three of my dogs bark their heads off!

If there is a way to keep them away without hurting them, I'll try it!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The cat may like dogs..................but does Ace like strange cats? lol That was what I was going to suggest.............. Take Ace out to greet it every time it shows up. Cat will eventually get the drift and pick somewhere else to lounge.

I'd let you borrow Betsy but you're a bit far away. She adores cats, but is much too exuberant in her adoration and tends to scare the beegeebies outta them until they eventually get used to her. Ones I don't want hanging around (there are a couple that steal all the food from the strays that have officially adopted me) get the idea pretty fast, even if they're used to dogs. lol

DDD

Ace has very poor socialization skills...to say the least. He actually has not been exposed 1/1 with other animals (except perhaps in his anxiety laden first two years). husband just told me that he saw the cat this morning and it's pregnant. Sigh! Guess I'll have to put it with it for awhile longer. I'm hoping that cats "go home" to give birth and then stay with their kittens. There may be hope for the future. DDD

klmno

I don't know, DDD, I thought they found a favorite place they liked to lounge around in and nested there to have their kittens and nurture them thru weaning.

:rofl:

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

exhausted

Moth balls keep them from doing their business in the yard. My front yard is the meeting place sometimes for all the kitties-I keep mothballs all over the plants in spring and summer.
How about aversion therapy. Bring out your dog on leash to the front yard every day several times to bark and try to get at said cat? Wonder if cat will tire of this and maybe associate your yeard with fear?

susiestar

Roll With It
Squirt the cat with the hose. Most cats hate water and if you are fairly consistent then it will stay away. But if it is freezing or really cold out, it could hurt the cat.otherwise it won't hurt her.

DammitJanet

There is a product on the market that isnt too expensive that you can put in your yard that emits a type of sonic thing. It only goes about 40 or so yards so if you aim it in in the direction in your front yard toward the street it wouldnt bother Ace. It is marketed to be put outside for problem animals while you keep your pets fine. Now I will eventually remember the name or be able to google it but as we all know it takes me a bit to come up with it....lol.

InsaneCdn

Water.
If you can't be there to get them EVERY single time for a couple of weeks, then... there is a motion-detector hose control out there. Hook up the hose to the detector, then to the sprinkler. Put the sprinkler head where you KNOW the cat wil be walking, detector facing properly...

Cat will get wet every time it tries to go "there", and will find more inviting spaces to visit.

But... it takes several weeks, AND you really can't do it in the winter unless you live where it doesn't get anywhere close to freezing...

DammitJanet

The above will work or so it says. It emits a sound when any cat walks into your yard and they will be sent packing. It runs off of batteries and has a two year warranty.

buddy

I think a hole in your fence would do it.... as long as ace likes cats and would just scare it by being too friendly.....

You said safe so my rent a pitbull wont work...I do like cats but it is stressful to have your dog bark and eventually neighbors may get upset etc. Not fair to you or your dog. Cat owners are to have the same responsibility to their pets as dog owners, and cats tend to live a much shorter life when allowed to roam like that. Too bad, sounds like a nice cat. You are kind to try to think of a humane way to get it to shoo off. I love all the water ideas. If you do that stuff I hope you take pictures of how it works! sounds interesting.